I've been waking up at 4:45-5am every day no matter what time I go to sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had sleeping issues since I was 14 years old (26 now). I've been on countless medications and a C-Pap machine and nothing had been truly effective. My biggest trouble was actually falling asleep, but now that's the easiest part. It has definitely got better over the years but for the past 2 weeks I've been waking up at 4:45-5 every morning. I feel so tired and I try to go back to sleep but I usually just lay there until 6:30-7. I rarely go back to sleep and sometimes I don't even know if I actually fall back asleep because it's so hard to.

Some things that I've done is got rid of my alarm clock so I wouldn't keep checking it every 2 minutes. I also covered my windows so my room is almost pitch black because the sun peeking through used to wake me up. When I wake up I usually reach for my phone or ipod (both turned off) and turn one on to check the time (I know that's probably a stupid idea but how else will I know what time it is?). When I get up for good I usually head to the bathroom and look at the alarm clock in the spare bedroom when I walk past it.

This is really starting to catch up to me. I don't have nearly as much energy as usual. I have no motivation to get anything done. I just want to be able to get a full nights sleep in because I rarely have had that in the past 12 years.

If anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to get out of this habit I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Who gave you the C-Pap, and why?
    • Posted

The sleep center in my area. They denied me the more beneficial sleep study that they do right at the sleep center and made me do the "home" study. It's was a monitor that I had to set up myself and place electrodes all over my body, along with pulse ox and a few other things. I toss and turn a lot during the night so I don't even know how effective the test really could be. They told me I have mild sleep apena so they set me up with a C-Pap.

I used it for a bit and it wasn't helping at all. It was a huge pain too. I've never woke with shortness of breath or anything along that matter. I'm far from being overweight as well (I know you don't have to be overweight to have it...).

That's what hospitals do though. You have a minor "case" of something and they treat it like you have something far worse. I actually worked for that company that is part of the sleep center in my area. "United Health Services" is the name of it and it's truly a scumbag establishment. I worked there for 7 years and recently quit about a month ago because it was making me miserable. I thought my sleeping would get better without having all of the stress from that place but I guess not.

• Posted

Tibs, give yourself time to re-establish your sleep pattern. I'm sure the stress from your job has contributed hugely to all this. A month isn't long enough to re-set your body clock. Just be kind to yourself for a while, and I'm sure you'll get back to normal.

• Posted

Hi Tibs. I too suffer with this problem of early morning wakenings. Which wouldnt be a problem if I slept deeply until that point but I don't.... I wake every two hours. I go to bed at 10.30pm and get up at 6am usually, but what happens in between is a mess. I gave up on the sleep meds ages ago, perscription and other things like 5 htp, they don't work, nothing works for me. So, how I am at this point in my life is I'm not sure I'm ever going to crack this. I wonder if it's just my personality, I am a sensitive person and just feel like I've failed if I wake up in the night, even tho I know it's normal. As a rule, I tend to sleep better after a really rough night the night before. 1 good followed by 1 bad. But to achieve that good night, I have to have a terrible night and feel like a zombie all day! I just don't know the answer😔 I've exercised to the point of exhaustion but still no better, but idmitt I don't exercise every day, I think I need to but it's so hard when you feel so tired x 

• Posted

Hi Nic, I suspect you've diagnosed yourself when you say "I [...] feel like I've failed if I wake up in the night, even though I know it's normal". It is indeed normal to partially wake after each sleep cycle (about an hour-and-a-half) and many of us wake fully.

Your use of the word "failed" got me reflecting on the ideas we hold in our culture, that seem to equate the ability to sleep soundly with success, or even virtue.

I was a poor sleeper even as a child, and I was soundly beaten for this by my parents, particularly my mother. (Not an indictment of either of them - this was viewed as good parenting 70 years ago, especially in poor families like mine.) I have plenty of childhood memories of lying there, wide awake but with eyes clenched shut, rigid with terror, knowing that my mother was staring at me, trying to make out whether I was really asleep or just faking it again. I'm sure this contributed to my lifelong sleep problems!confused I'm not telling you this to gain sympathy - I'm an old lady now and it doesn't matter any more. I've long since understood that they were loving parents who wanted to beat the "badness" out of me to give me a good start in life. But it shows the deep identification with sleep and morality that exists in our collective consciousness.

As a young adult I continued to sleep badly, of course. My general pattern was similar to yours, but slightly worse - one good night followed by two or three rough ones. I eventually learned not to discuss this with my friends, as too many of them said: "Can't sleep? There must be something wrong with you!" This wasn't said in a kind tone, as in: "Oh you poor thing, you must be ill, have you seen a doctor?" No, it was said in a contemptuous snort. They clearly felt my inability to sleep was a sign that I was somehow inferior!

I realise now that these reactions - their self-righeous attitude and my resulting silence about my sleep problems - feed back into each other in society. The idea that everyone is supposed to get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep (plucked out of the air by 19th-century doctors I believe) has taken such a hold that people who don't achieve this are seen as failures - by others and themselves - and may be shamed into silence about it. This in turn makes it look as if most people are "perfect" sleepers, and we're some kind of weird exception - which we're not, of course. 

Well, I got through life in spite of feeling tired most days. I truly sympathise with you and I agree constant tiredness is a b1tch. But it won't damage your health, and one eventually works out methods of dealing with it. Having passed my biblical three-score years and ten, I'm still in excellent health. And I sleep much better now too.

On the practical side, I don't think you need to exercise to the point of exhaustion. An hour or so of brisk walking on five days a week will do the job just as well. Don't forget all the usual rules: no coffee after 2pm; no computer, phone, tablet etc. use in the hour before bed (google the effect on sleep hormones of the light these devices emit); switch off your phone overnight or, better still, leave it in another room; keep your room, the bedclothes and your PJs fairly cool. And have you tried occasional use of OTC antihistamines of the first-generation kind? These were real lifesavers when I was young. (See my post on the subject to Tibs above.)

Above all, try and drop the idea of failure! If you could get past that, I'm sure your anxiety levels would fall and you'd start sleeping a bit better.

• Posted

Thanks Lily, that's makes a lot of sense. I need to train myself to not feel guilty if i wake in the night. Reading your message helps me to do that. I often head people say they've slept for 8 hours straight and I feel envious. Actually, one night a few months ago I did sleep for about 5 hours but still woke up feeling like poo - it was as if I didn't reach 'deep' sleep. I can't win. I will start to do some walking each day & hope that helps. 

• Posted

I agree with the bit about feeling terrible after a "good night's sleep", Nic. There's nothing like a seemingly undisturbed 8-hour period of sleep to make me feel like a zombie too! I remember when I was going through my sleepless phase I always used to feel terrible after the first night's sleep following a run of insomnia, but much better the next day, even if I'd hardly closed my eyes the night before that.

You're right to go easy on yourself. Also bear in mind that we all have different sleeping patterns. The UK PM known as "the Iron Lady" famously slept only 3 hours per night, and it did her no harm. Though I'm not suggesting we should all aspire to be like herwink.

As regards interrupted sleep, try googling the following (I can't post links here):

- "The myth of the eight-hour sleep". This one's a BBC article from 2012.

- "Biphasic and polyphasic sleep". From Wikipedia.

- "Sleep: why they used to do it twice a night". From The Guardian.

There's plenty more of this out there if you google something like medieval sleep pattern. It seems that not only is the concept of 8 hours a night a comparatively recent introduction, but so is the very idea that we have to get all our sleep in one chunk. I realise it might be difficult to fit our modern lifestyle around biphasic sleep, but it's still a reassuring thought.

Sweet dreams!

• Posted

Yea I definitely understand not wanting to exercise after sleeping poorly. I was planning on going to the gym in the hotel room each morning at the hotel this weekend but I didn't go at all because I felt terrible when I woke up. I did swim a bunch which was a pretty good workout but it still didn't help anything.

• Posted

You said you got rid of alarm clock. But you haven’t got rid of clock yet. I feel looking for time seems triggering factor for you. And that’s due to anxiety. Just feel relax and abandon the things that triggers some kind of worries.Looking at the duration of this problem, I hope it would be temporary. Just feel confident and maintain diet schedule
  • Posted

So nothing changed over my short vacation. One night I went to bed around 11:30 and the other around midnight and I still woke up around 5 each morning.
    • Posted

Hello Tibs. Can I ask, do you sleep through from 11.30pm till 5am? Some times on the rare occasion I have managed that duration, I still feel awful, it's very wired. Now I go to bed at 10pm, get up still 6am, but wake twice in the night - 2am & 4am... I am slowly learning that it is normal to wake in the night, it's part of our DNA. When I wake, I properly wake up, at 2am I nip to the loo & take a Valerian Root tablet, the Valerian is just a comfort factor, I don't think it does much. I drift off reasonably quickly, the second wake up at 4, nip to the loo again and just lie there and somehow manage to drift off. If for example I had something worrying me, I could probably get back off yo sleep on the 1st wake up but not the 2nd. Being wake from 4ish in the morning, kills me, I feel one moody lady and struggle like mad all day. BUT the most important thing I tell myself (and I must thank a lady on this forum fir reminding me)' that it's normal to wake. As long as I know I'm 'normal' lol, I can cope. So, therefore I just doze back off again until 6 ish. Just remind yourself of this and it will give you peace of mind. I really thing that that's what we insomniacs look for in the night peace of mind xx

• Posted

Something that I've been looking into today on the web is Sleep Cycles. On average each persons sleep cycle lasts approximately 90 mins. We have a series of these throughout the night. Some people wake fully between cycles (like me) and others don't, or can't remember waking. So, when I fall asleep at say 10pm and wake at 2am.. I must of not of woken during that first sleep cycle. But then when I wake at 2/2.30am and sleep until 4 and wake up that's another 90 min cycle. Also learned today that if you are disturbed or wake up without finishing your 90 min sleep cycle you can feel rubbish. Wish makes total sense. Very interesting stuff, but again at least I know I'm not a freak waking up all the time! Insomnia has totally dominated my life, especially in the last year, so I'm always keen to learn more. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.