I've been walking on my "fractured" ankle. Will this slow down the healing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I found out that my ankle was fractured the fracture was already 3 weeks old. They put me in crutches for about a week then a walking boot for four. I went back and the docter said that there was access bone around the fracture which is a sign of healing and told me to wear the walking boot for another 30 days. About two weeks after I stopped wearing the boot. My ankle doesn't hurt to walk on but when I move it it hurts... Does that mean it's not healed yet?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you walking from heal to toe? That's the only way you'll gst your foot healed properly. You should always follow the time lines laid down otherwise youll end up doing yourself damage. It's very very frustrating. I understand where you're coming from. Maybe arrange another appointment with him and discuss your concerns.

Did you find the boot very uncomfortable even whilst sitting? I hate mine.

• Posted

I've just been walking normally and going about my normal routine.. But the fracture is like on my lateral malleolus so it didn't hurt that bad to begin with since it only supports the weight. But when I twist it or something then it still hurts. And I hated the boot. I just thought that it wouldn't do much damage to go without since it was already in the process of healing? This is the first time I have ever had any kind of injury..
    • Posted

Did they recommend physio? It's a great idea if your foot is still sore/uncomfortable.
    • Posted

No. I don't go back to the doctor till next week. I just didn't know if it's not healed yet or if it's just sore.
    • Posted

Id guess it's just not healed completely yet. I hope it starts to feel better soon. Goodluck and let me know how you get on!
  • Posted

My aged neighbour fell in her garden and hurt her ankle. She did nothing about it. Only when she went to a doctor 9 years later did she discover she had broken it! She was in her 80's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.