I've come back !

Posted , 6 users are following.

So it is now six months since my TKR. Some of you might even remember me! I have learned a lot on here and had a lot of help. But the biggest thing I learned is to remember we are all different. Ironically the stomach pains that put me in hospital two weeks after the op weren't caused by the pain killers as (badly) diagnosed but by gallstones. I returned to hospital in October with the most unimaginable pain possible. I thought I was going to die with the gall stone blocking my bile duct. The pain made a knee replacement like a breeze in comparison - so it's not always worse than a kidney stone or maybe gallstones are worse! So that got removed and I lost over a stone in 10 days after zero food. All sorted now except I have to have my gall bladder out in the next few weeks. BUT - my knee is great. The two weeks with no physio and no exercises at three months worked wonders. It must have needed a rest! When I came out it was much straighter - maybe laying on my back for 10 days, about 2 deg, virtually normal. Unfortunately it still only bends to 90 deg, same as before the op and I doubt it will improve. Since I came out I have just exercised a bit and relied on walking and natural exercise - I did a lot in the first three months though. But hey, it's brillaint walking and pain free and even standing for long periods is good. Have also played nine holes of golf, walking with no problems at all. Can't wait to get the other one done as it hasn't been that painful for me. Just thought I would post something positive to help those who may be fearful of the op and may read less positive posts.

Good luck to everyone, especially those who are having difficulties.

Happy New Year!

Dave

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dave!

So sorry you had such a terrible time with your gall stone! Sending prayers tonight that all will go well with your upcoming surgery. Please let us know how you are doing.

Glad your knee is good. When it is time for #2 Knee, be sure to let us know how it goes, too!

Yes, it is very important and quite helpful for all of us to share the bad AND the good parts of our experiences. It helps to know others are going through similar things.

Take care!

Thanks for posting!😊

• Posted

Hi Dave

So good to hear how your knee has gone, but I'm sorry you've had so much pain with the gallstones! We here on this forum love to hear success stories.

All the best for your upcoming operation.

I also will have my other knee done when fully recovered from this one.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thank you kind people! I will keep you posted, and hope all goes well with you,

Dave

x

• Posted

Hi all I am 10 weeks post op of a TKR, I am still having pain and my knee feels like cement when walking it's so much heavier and feel I am dragging it, I have a 125 bend and can straighten as it was before, can go upstairs normally and down with slight help from the handrail, does this heaviness ever get better as I am getting anxious about it as I was fit before the op and wanting to get back to being me I do try as I love to walk but an hour is enough as I get quite a bit of pain and heaviness ... love to hear from all you TKR.

• Posted

At 10 weeks, you still have a long way to go.  Great ROM!!! We all wished for the same but had to work really hard to achieve it over a 3-6 month period.  That heaviness or feeling like there's a tight band around your knee can persist for a year or more.  Takes time for it to go away.  Be patient.

My doc said: "You have a giant mechanical device implanted in your body.  What do you expect?"

• Posted

I have to say that my experience of gall stone problems was not as painful as TKR!  i had nuneteen gallstones, one large one blocking the buile duct, and wrongly diagnosed by my doctor as 'indigestion' I ask you . . . What a relief to have the gall bladder and its contents removed!  Recovery from that is a lot quicker than TKR!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.