I've come into a blip

Posted , 7 users are following.

Reading this forum give me a lot of reasurrence of getting through the anxiety.  My story so far...just before christmas all was well and i was having a quiet afternoon while hubby took kids to the beach.  Out of the blue came a panic attack and having had these before i prompty took myself to the gp to get sorted for the health concerns i knew i was worrying about.  due to my history he prescribed 10mg cit so i started taking that.  the cycle of restless sleeps, low appetitie and continual adrenal drive ensued.  I knew that the meds would take a little while to kick in so this knowledge was my life saver getting through the long days at home with child.  unfortunately i'd had enough by two weeks so went to gp and he upped the dose to 20mg and gave me another kind to take at night to enable sleep.  gradually things have come right and i've had three sessions with the psychologist.  i'm determined to get this figured out and learn more about myself and my responses to situations.  now at 5 weeks since start of dosage i find myself anxious again and worrying lots.  i'm trying to put it down to upcoming menstruation cycle and also some things coming up that are out of my comfort zone.  how have people found themselves 5 weeks in?  are the blips normal or should i get the dose increased?  in the past i was on cit and it was very effective for me (for post baby traumas), is it because i've been on and off it over the years that it is less effective?  any thoughts?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Its absolutely normal to get blips at 5 weeks.  Recovery often comes in waves to you will find yourself going forwards and backwards ...... it will settle in time.  I've been on Citalopram twice and had a different start up experience both times.  You'll get blips on whateve dose you take.  Its just your body adjusting.  Give it more time.

You know these meds worked for you before, so they'll work again.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Very reassuring. Feeling good tonight after swimming and pilates
    • Posted

Exercise is good for anxiety.  The anxiety needs an outlet.  Hope it continues to go well.

K x

• Posted

I'm on my 12th week at 40mg and I will have days of good and then all of a sudden a day that's bad and I feel anxious and sad again etc. Is this still normal 12 weeks in?? Will blips ever stop? When I am feeling good I think ok I got this i can do this etc but once it's a bad day I forget all the good times i had and afraid it will just get worse from here again

• Posted

Oh yes definitely - its always 3 steps forward and 2 steps back all the way.  The blips will stop - they really will.  Yep, that's exactly how I felt - when the going was good I'd think I could cope with anything, and when I was back down in that hole I felt lost and bewildered.

Best thing to do is when the blip happens relax towards it, let it be there and carry on with whatever you have to do (even though you don't want to).  It helps to desensitise your body.

Th blips will get easier.

K x

• Posted

I agree, you have to be persistant though. at first it may not feel as if it's helping but if you keep at it it helps a lot.

• Posted

So it's normal to still have blips 13-14 weeks in?

I do try to relax and go with it the best I can, but not always easy sad

But when I feel good I feel like I can do this

• Posted

Yes absolutely.  I had blips all the way through my 6 months of recovery - though they happened less often as time passed.  Even after recovery I'd get the odd time when I wasn't right, but by then I was able to cope fine with them.

Relaxing and going with it when you feel bad won't relieve the anxiety, but what it does do is it slowly gives your body the message that 'hey, this is ok, and I'm carrying on'.  Reacting to anxiety with anxious worrying, racing about trying to 'get rid of it' just produces more anxiety.  Releaxing towards it and letting it be there starts to desensitise your body.  Its really not easy to do this and you won't feel any benefit ...... but it will over time.

Yes when you feel good you're not thinking with an anxious mind and all thoughts feel positive.  Its the anxious thinking, anxious worrying that feeds the anxiety.

I'll send you a link xxx

• Posted

Thank you Kate for the insights.  Do you have any tips for relaxing and going with it?  i definetly go the keep busy route and now i am learning more about anxiety this time around i realise that previous plan of keeping busy was flawed.  i have been reading aobut mindfulness and am receptive to believing it can help.  my doctor has been a great help and i want to take her home with me as all it takes is her words to make me feel better.  she advised talking to myself in the mirror, the vocalising of your thoughts means you can hear the worry out loud.  this week has been a better week with the positve thoughts being the loudest.
    • Posted

Hello Shar

Relaxing and going with it purely means accept that the feelings will be there for a while yet, stop trying to get rid of them as this just makes you go round in circles and causes tension.  If you check yourself you'll probably find you're clenching your jaw, holding your stomach tight and are probably rushing about from A to B and getting uptight about things.  Let go of the tension in your jaw, and try and release the stomach too (its not always easy, but with practice it will relax).  Don't sit still doing this, but try and do whilst you move about your day.  Also stop rushing about - don't drive in the outside lane, move over to the inside and just drive a bit slower.  Don't have loud funky pop music blaring away either - that causes tension would you believe - either drive in silence or listen to clasical or soothing music instead.  People who drive quick often get tense and shout / swear at other drivers - that used to be me too - I now watch them all racing past me and see their frustration when someone gets in front of them (quite amusing really) and even when people yell / shout at me I just purely smile and ignore it.

Letting go of tension and float around during the day (to the best you can anyway) will slowly help to desensitise your body.  Having anxiety means your body is very sensitive and everything feels 10 x worse.  Relaxing reverses this.  Yes keep busy, but don't rush about - rushing causes tension and tension causes anxiety.  Relaxing won't instantly relieve anxiety, but with continued practice it really will help.

Even today I practice this - in fact my friends moan that I'm too laid back.  I still get stressed from time to time but I've learnt how to relax and let it go.

I'll private message you too with a link that I'm passing on to lots.  It was passed to me by Gerrymoo and it will really help you.

K x

• Posted

Kate

can you please pass that link to me , thank you very much..

• Posted

5 weeks is still early days, I finish 5 weeks tomorrow and while I'm not feeling as bad as at the beginning, when I took Cit before it didn't really kick in big time until week 9, after that over the space of a couple of weeks I got back to normal.

• Posted

I seen your post that u said before when u were on it, kicked in around 9 weeks. So I am on 30mg Saturday will be ten weeks for me. I take 20 in morning 10 at night. I don't have many major anxiety except for today some reason I got bad one this morning. But I still feel zero motivation, and always feeling tired were u like this also 9 weeks in. Like my motivation is so bad I don't want to do anything but lay on the couch. Did u experience any of this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.