I've come to terms with my current FLOATERS, is there anything I can do so they don't get worse?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've posted about my floaters before.

Some days i'm more anxious than others about them, and I see them more often some days. I've noticed the past two years they have gotten worse. I see an eye doc once to twice a year and get my eyes dialated. She said they were healthy, although I do have dry eyes and I use non-preservative drops. I eat as healthy as I can and i'm a healthy girl. I'm 23 years old and i'm just so scared that these will get even worse because i'm so young & already experiencing them pretty bad. Nobody in my life has them so they look at me like i'm crazy when I bring it up. 

Has anyone heard of any tips to prevent them from getting WORSE? I'm aware the ones I have will probably never go away. Any help on them not getting worse would be awesome, or your experience of them. I have really bad anxiety disorder so I probably focus on them too much also. 

Please help!!!!! Any info would help me. These things are so annoying I can't believe nobody has come up with anything yet/doctors think it's no big deal. I have them in both eyes and i can't go outside without them blocking my vision at some point and even the TV screen/phone screen sometimes when it's too bright. I get depressed when I think about it for too long.... talking about it helps though I guess. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I also suffer from floaters, although mine come from ocular migraines and what I find that helps the most is to wear sunglasses while using devices that emit blue light and of course protecting my eyes from the sun. I would suggest trying to manage anxiety as best as you can, since stress tends to aggravate floaters.  
    • Posted

I have ocular migraines every now and then too! 
  • Posted

So the proper diagnosis is vitreous detachments, an age related problem at 56! I've been advised not to go near smoke and to eat lots of dark green vegetables; kate, spinach, cabbage, etc.Limit your time spent on the computer or iphone. I'm very bothered by them but the optometrist says my eyes are healthy. I'm not sure if Moorfield's Eye Hospital in London could offer you hope. Ask for a referral. You are very young to experience this so I would plague your gp for a second opinion to be seen at Moorfields. 

• Posted

Yes the floaters will not go away and there is nothing I know of to prevent them from worsening. The sun and devices tend to contribute more to ARMD instead of floaters. You are on the younger side to get floaters but you can get them at your age. Around 20% of people get them in their 20's. (Not everyone has symptoms or gets floaters as this process happens.) Some people are completely unaware that they have had a vitreous detachment.They are not harmful and as the gel in your eye liquifies they should become less apparent as they will fall below your line of vision. There is a surgery that can be done if they are really bad, but most Opthamologists typically do not recommend unless absolutely necessary as it is very risky. With the surgery they remove the gel from your eye and replace it but it can cause retinal tears or bleeding which could lead to more problems. I personally would avoid having the surgery if possible.

• Posted

I am suffering from floaters as well and it's very frustrating to deal with it. It's been 3 months since it started due to a neck injury. I am 40 years old. My opthalmologist classified them as "mild to moderate"

I've been taking bilberry and lutein supplements for several months but that hasn't helped.

How long does it typically take for us to start noticing it less and less. I can't imagine living the rest of me life with these annoying floaters.

• Posted

Just read a reply from steve09278 in response to george05887's discussion at "Cataract" entitled "Post cataract and YAG laser". His wife has been experiencing the same on both eyes. His reply is very assuring.

"Both doctors prescribed patience and did not recommend vitrectomy and frankly cautioned against it.

Currently, 2 years post-op, her left eye is fine and the right has improved, but not significantly.  Time is the best option."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.