I’ve decided to come off Venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

Yes I have made the decision and after alot of Googling I have come across this community and hope I can join as it has been so encouraging to read your supportive success stories after reading so many negative ones elsewhere.

I have been taking 375mg daily for three years. I am planning to start by reducing by 37.5mg per day every three weeks if I feel okay, and longer if I don't until I do. I hope I am being realistic!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

that is way too fast. look up surviving antidepressants website. you could do yourself serious longterm damage doing it like that. take it from me i know

• Posted

This is great news! I think you will do well - stay strong. I'm on 150mg of Ven since Apr.2019. I'm also on Mirtazapine in the weaning stages. Please keep us posted. From what I hear - stay active and let your loved one's know. Be kind to yourself. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes one more thing - you should do this under physician supervision.

• Posted

Hi great that you have made a decision but i would not recommend dropping 37.5 per day, you need to go really slow to minimise withdrawal symptoms. 37.5 is a lot to drop at once but if that is what you do i would hold at that drop until all withdrawal symptoms are gone then drop again. I am currently cutting a 37.5 mg in quarters and havent dropped again from February as i am even getting symptoms depending on the size of the quarter taken daily. Good luck.

• Posted

hi there

i too think you should do decrease at a much slower pace. I am currently decreasing my venlafaxine very slowly. if you find it too difficult, your GP could swap you to Fluoxetine which does a similar job but has a much longer half life

• Posted

thanks! i don't have a date yet to start tapering venlafaxine - something in 2020. what i can do is stay a little longer on the 3.75mg. can you tell me how the venlafaxine tapering is going and what you started with. I'm on 150mg capsules. Thanks!

• Posted

im on the extended relaase capsules. were you on the same?

• Posted

Hi all, thank you so much for your replies. I think I will need to have a rethink based on what you've said. I really had thought that reducing by 37.5mg every three weeks would be okay. I am doing it with my psychiatrist's guidance but he doesn't know how it feels does he, and you all do. Thank you. I don't know if the tablets come in smaller doses than 37.5mg but if they don't I will take 375 and 337.5 on alternate days for maybe a month and see how I feel...

• Posted

firstly i would not alternate doses it really messes with your btain especially as this has such a short half life. the best way is 5 to 10% every 4 weeks. to do this it depends on what type of pills you have. capsules with the beads in or solid tablets and if they are ir ir er.

• Posted

Hi again everyone, thank you so much for your advice and wise words. I have cut 75mg tablets into quarters and will drop by one quarter at a time until my body and brain get used to it. No more quickly than that and no alternate days.

Sue I am encouraged to hear you were on the same high dose and have reduced to 37.5, well done!

• Posted

CMo

It doesn't matter how slowly you reduce this drug..it's never going to be slow enough.

In my opinion and through experience it would wise to confide in your nearest and dearest. Someone to support you through the tears and a whole bunch of emotions. Its going to be tough for a while but please don't put pressure on yourself and rush this too quickly.

Slow is the key. Allow your brain to adjust slowly to avoid the inevitable brain zaps.

There is no rush x

• Posted

Hi there

There is 75mg tablet which can be cut. you can't take alternative days with venlafaxine due to its very short half life. you have your physc who will help you through the process. Good luck

• Posted

Hi I was on 375mg of prolonged release Venlafaxine and in the past 4 weeks have dropped to 37.5mg. I have had no side effects until i started to take 37.5mg every other day which was suggested by my consultant, OMG on the day after I did not take any ( as I take them with my evening meal) I felt ill (dizzy, tired, muscle weakness and pain) just absolutely rotten so if this happens just stay on the dose that you are on for a little longer until your body is ready to take a lower dose. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.