I've diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia, what is the ablation procedure like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody. I am currently a second year student in College. Around three or four years ago in high school gym class I began getting episodes of an insanely fast heart rate that would last for about half an hour. No big deal. The nurse told me it was just anxiety, so when they happened, which was about once a month or so, I would just leave gym class and go to the nurses office to wait it out.

Fast forward to last year, I began getting serious about my physical health and started lifting weights in college. I put on some sizable muscle but I continued to have SVT episodes that would last about an hour and my heart beat would be at around 235. Yes you read that right. One time it went on for an hour and a half and did not stop. I went to the ER and they did an EKG, or ECG whatever it is and sure enough, they confirmed it was SVT and my beat was at 235. I am twenty years old, relatively healthy and not overweight at all. But having this condition sucks because I can't push myself as hard as I want in the gym as I'm worried about getting another episode.

They told me about these vagal manuevers to do if it happens again. I am prescribed beta blockers, but all of these issues feel like bandaids over the real issue. I want to get the ablation but I'm terrified to do it. I've never been in surgery let alone for something related to my heart. I'm worried they might accidentally poke through the heart wall and then I need heart surgery and a pacemaker. What should I do? Beta blockers make me tired, I just wish I was normal. 😦

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI,

Ablation works best. I had to do it twice as the first one was not successful. Now I am all good. Don't worry about poking in your heart. I had it done at Sunnybrook hospital and doctors there are very good.

thanks

• Posted

I am an older male and have brief episodes of SVT. The episodes are infrequent and end within seconds, but the risk for me is falling suddenly as they can cause fainting (syncope). Do you experience that? Research it as much as you can on the internet, if you haven't already, as there are some triggers that can be avoided such as caffeine, dehydration, etc. I get some help from a beta blocker. Ablation does sound risky as a small fatality rate is involved and reports indicate they don't always ablate the right spot on the first try.

• Posted

Yes, we all wish we were normal.

Mine started Feb 2016 ( and I was 61 years old at the time)

In the beginning, I took beta blockers. I felt like crap on them. I had to stop them 5 days prior to my first ablation attempt. I went through terrible withdrawals with the beta blockers. That's a whole other story.

When I was on the beta blockers, I could not get off the sofa. Such tiredness. My hands and feet were freezing.After the first ablation attempt, I told my EP that I would rather have episodes than take the beta blocker, so I just stayed off them.

I have gone for 3 ablation attempts but never ablated. ( That is also a whole different story. It is amazing how we feel so much anxiety over this procedure. If you sign up for one of the SVT closed facebook groups, you will get so many opinions. But everyone in the end will tell you that they were so anxious, and in the end, they felt silly for feeling that way.

At your age, I would certainly consider the ablation. Depending on which type of svt you have, there are different percentages of success. Mine is a type that has a lower percentage for success but still good.

I would think of this this way. At your age, you could have the procedure done, and never have to worry about it again. Live your life svt free. That would be truly amazing.

Sign up for a couple of those face groups. You will get tons of information from people all over the world

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.