I’ve done it - I’m off propranolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

im on day 6 off propranol and im finally starting to feel ok ish - had to push through terrible shaking and feeling wobbly but im coming through the other side- i can recommend gritting ur teeth and keeping going to get off it - still having horrendous headaches and feel if i could describe it as delicate but im so happy im sticking it out @

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just coming off it myself. I was on 80mg of the sustained kind so my GP gave me 40mg ordinary, which I've been using for a week. Next, I'll take one every other day for another week.

It says clearly that immediate cessation is a bad idea so a taper is needed.

• Posted

i was on 120mg for two years and after my psychiatrist apts i have gone done to 80mg and then 40mg and then tapered off to none which has all been under medical supervision.

• Posted

Hello

why came off Propranolol in the first place? I am interested as i have been on 40mg twice a day, (slow release) for years and cannot imagine life with the dibilitating headaches again...but do question the amount of drugs and chemicals i put into my body each day, along with the paracetamol and ibruprophen .....you are a very brave soul indeed

Kate

• Posted

i just got so fed up of being on this medication i had the shakes and headaches and other side effects. under medical supervision i tapered down and felt ok - i just had a feeling of weakness and terrible shaking when i came off but after the week of pushing through i do not have any more headaches which is brilliant and i feel so much better and alert off it. i think because i was so determined to get off it to give my body chance to recover from this medicine i did it and dont regret it at all - so far - good luck if u have a go - its worth it for me feel back to my old self again x

• Posted

I'm going on to 40mg every other day, after dropping from 80ml XL to 40 normal for a week.

No negatives at all but I've noticed my hair is waking up. I have 'baby hair' . . . it was lifeless and I was seeing a lot in the brush. Luckily, I've a non-balding family.

• Posted

i was fine cutting it down it was just when i stopped altogether i started with the the shaking but honestly i feel like my old self much more its worth it though

• Posted

I was on propranolol 40mg for 14 years, the last 10 of which I also took 10 Citalopram in combination. I withdrew from Citalopram first in 2017 and then Propranolol in October 2018. I then over time found I was having headaches when waking so asked my doctor if I could substitute my blood pressure medication, Losartan, with propranol 40mg. I understood that propranolol lowered blood pressure and helped with headaches also. I restarted 40mg propranolol on 9 January 2019 which was soon increased to 80mg. Blood pressure was OK.

February and March were not good for me. Sweating, anxiety, insomnia..... Horrendous. But I was delighted to notice that the aches and pains and cold feet and cold hands disappeared. Good news bad news!

I asked to be put back on Citalopram 10mg and started them again in March 2019. Gradually the anxiety and sweating went

but the cold hands and feet returned!

So I am now in the process of gradually tapering off propranolol 40mg. I am now down to 30mg then 20mg alternate days. I will be on 20mg each day this Saturday.

I find that taking 5-htp has helped me immensely in sleeping. I do not wake every hour as before.

I also think that 5-htp is helping with withdrawal from propranolol. But time will tell when I finish them completely.

• Posted

I tried to come off mine from being on it 20 years and I couldn't stand or get out of bed due to raised blood pressure and being tachycardic but it's making me feel a zombie and like my body is jelly now and weak knees

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.