I’ve found something to reduce nighttime urination

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've suffered from frequent nighttime urination for years and its seriously affecting my life. My GP was unable to prescribe medication as i only have one kidney so she referred me to a urologist who prescribed Mirabegron. Unfortunately they caused insomnia so he changed them to Vesicare but these have done nothing to help. Having read on the net they take 4 weeks to work fully i know i need to continue with them but i would have thought if they were going to work i would have had some improvement by now, i've been taking them for 3 weeks.

I have tried many things in trying to reduce the amount of times i need to pee at night but none worked until i noticed when i have rice for dinner i sleep for 5+ hours instead of between one and 2 hours. This has happened 3 times now so im sure its not a coincidence and its definitely not the Vesicare as all other nights im up the usual 5/6 times. The difference in how i feel after i sleep for the 5+ hours is amazing and im going to make a big pan of mild curry and have it with rice every night.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaydi

Interesting to read about how rice is helpful to you, I wonder what the connection is and whether it is the rice itself or the fact that it helps you sleep better. I shall have to research this a bit more.

All the best

Robin

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I assume the rice soaks up the fluid in my stomach preventing it going down into my bladder. I made a huge mild curry and am having it with rice every night. The strange this is it doesnt work every night, a couple of nights i was still up my usual 4/5 times but last night i slept for 5 hours without needing to pee.

• Posted

I would try anything at this point. If I never had to urinate again I would be thrilled! I am extremely exhausted and depressed. Absolutely nothing has worked 😦

• Posted

Unfortunately the rice stopped helping but the last 2 nights i put chia seeds on my dinner and both nights i slept for 5 hours without needing to pee. Chia seeds expand in your stomach so to do that they obviously have to soak up fluid so im hoping these continue to help as like you Sassy im at the end of my tether, having to get up so many times every night is exhausting. The Vesicare did nothing and i tried to contact my urologist by phone, (which is what id done when the Mirabegron caused insomnia) was told he wasnt in but would be given a message to ring me. But he didnt ring and when i tried again i was told to ring the appointment line to get a follow up appointment. But this wasnt possible as they require a booking number which is on your hospital letter and id already attended that appointment so the booking number couldnt be used. I was told i need to go back to my GP to be referred again. Getting an appointment with my GP is so difficult im putting it off but im now not sure about taking medication as towards the end of the Vesicare i had pain in my kidney area for several days, i only have one kidney which is why my GP referred me to the urologist, she said shes not qualified to prescribe medication for the nocturia.

So if chia seeds continue to help maybe i should just add them to my dinner every night, they have no taste so can be added to any meal and at least i know they wont damage my kidney. I will add an update in a few days ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.