I've got a endoscopy coming up real soon and I'm scared help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi every one I have a endoscopy coming up in the next month and I'm so scared I cant stop thinking about it I have really bad aniexty it's so bad I haven't been able to work for almost a year and I'm getting this done as I have bad acid reflux so they want to check It out I'm 100% getting it done with sedation and my gp said if I tell them how nervous I am they will likely give me abit more has anyone had this done with sedation and it's been okay I'm just so scared and worried but I have to get this done as could be a fix to what started my anxiety

thanks in advance everyone

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danny,

I think everyone can relate to feeling a lot of anxiety about having this done, you'd be strange if you didn't. I know I did. I had it done about 18 months ago, and on the day I chose to try to do it without sedation, as I wanted to know what it was like, so I 'd know whether I needed sedation or not. Crazy? Maybe....

Well I coped fine. It wasn't pleasant, but it was painless and quick and if I had to have it again I would be a bit nervous but would not get stressed about it. Other people had sedation and said it was fine too, they didn't really remember it clearly, so no problems.

It is a horrible thing to think about, but the fear is the main problem. The sedation will fix that for you 😃 Easier said than done but try not to worry yourself sick, it will be over quickly and it will help with diagnosing your bigger, long term problem.

All the best.

• Posted

had it with sedation twice last time was 3 months ago. was really nothing. went in, they hook IV up, ask a few questions. you go in, they give sedation, next thing you know your back in your room or cubical waiting to get released. very easy. dont feel a thing.

• Posted

I had a bleeding ulcer three years ago, just after knee replacement. I was scared too but I didn't feel a thing and was not sore afterwards. I had another endoscopy two years ago, again for a humongous bleeding ulcer, and there was no pain under sedation or after.

• Posted

I had my upper endoscopy without sedation ( 30 yrs old male ) . They only sprayed some generic anesthesia in my mouth and thats all. It is not really that scary procedure than you find review on internet.

As your's one is under the sedation you will not remember or feel anything. Propofol works so fast that you wont be even able to count to 3 😃

Good luck and dont worry ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.