I've got an ear ache and sore throat due to LPR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm taking Nexium 40mg x 2 and Gaviscon x4 daily. How long before these symptoms subside? I'm fed up with reading negative responses regarding LPR.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Glennie 68, thank you for your comments. I've lost weight lately through having no appetite so have been eating chocolate to gain calories! I'll have to stop though because it really sets off my reflux. Hopefully the nexium will kick in soon. How do you get rid of pepsin then? I don't cough or have excess mucous just the problem throat which I'm desperate to sort out. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

I think I read of someone putting bicarbonate of soda into water to make it alkaline to help shift the pepsin - don't know if it works - kinda makes me think of old fashioned remedy for indigestion! There's such a lot of conflicting information - I guess you just have to try things! I've not had a brilliant day myself - and I can't figure out what has triggered my symptoms today! I've lost almost 2 stones in the last 4 months! 

• Posted

Hi - try rinsing your mouth with a weak solution of bi-carb then spit it out. Neutralises pepsin the stuff that apparently causes the burning feeling.
    • Posted

Hi Rex, so gargling with bicarbonate of soda will help with a sore throat  will it? My GP had never heard of " silent reflux", how can that be when a lot of people seem to have it? She said that my throat problems were caused by anxiety! No but they are definitely causing anxiety!,
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

You were brave to have the Nissen op as I have read you are left with a very small opening and eating is very limited; food is easier through a straw.

Hopefully your doctor should be able to tell you if you have LPR???? I sometimes experience a blockage and swelling of the opening in the left ear and it can get sore; also my throat is sometimes sore but thankfully not often - just the gagging.

When I wasn't watching my diet I used to get the uncomfortable, horrible lump in the throat sensation.

I use the lozenger "Fisherman's Friend" - but this may be too strong for your throat if it is very sore - also chew gum to get the saliva working. Some people use a teaspoon of Black strap molasses to help with a sore throat.

At the moment for breakfast I have a smoothie mixed with banana and apple.  It contains Spirulina; kale; broccoli;barley grass; wheat grass;chlorella; thaumatin. made with coconut water.  My saliva PH this morning was 7.0 - 7.2. Best it's been for a week.

Bi carb is a good relief if you feel the acid in the back of the mouth, but be careful with the dosage and check a web site to the amount and how much a week is safe.  I'm not out of the woods yet with all this and it is trial and error to find a way of getting the right balance of enzymes into my body.  Being careful what you eat is the answer; and its so hard to change our ways. 

Some well meaning friends have given me a HUGE box of chocolate goodies and another dropped in a home made plum pudding for Christmas!!!!  My visitors will now be well catered for.....razz 

hope your manometry test will give some answers.

• Posted

Hi Pam - might pay you to check usefullness of mouth PH as I think you will find it varies wildly. Urine is best home measurement but blood is the only truly accurate. I stopped doing it 6 months ago. Yes delicious chocolates are a total disaster at this stage.  We cheated this year (except for one little box - HUGE MISTAKE!) and got them out of the house ptonto by giving to nrighbours. On bi-carb I get terrific results just by gargling and not swallowing. Have to be carefull foing this with the dogs around!
    • Posted

Hi Rex,

thanks for your info to the PH testing. Unfortunately I also have a 'geographical' tongue that is caused by acid reflux. For years I have taken the PPI Somac and one doctor stated he didn't know what causes the tongue to go like that. The Naturapath said I had reflux for a long time! So much for the Somac doing any good. I have heard also that the geographical tongue and reflux can be heredity.

My reflux is the type that affects the vocal chords and if I don't watch the diet  I can't speak and gag on the reflux that flares up to my throat.  If it isn't kept under control the vocal chords can become cancerous. 

So between the geographical tongue and the vocal chords it is nice to wake up with a clean tongue and mouth.

• Posted

Hi Rex, How many times each day do you need to gargle with the bi-carb? Does it neutralise the pepsin in the throat? I want to watch that video that you mentioned but I can't take any more bad news about LPR and I feel abit shocked by it all. Although I must have had it for a long time I didn't know what it was and I think "Mr. Google" can make you abit depressed if you read too much! Am still interested in digestive enzymes, does anyone use them? Thank you all for your support.
    • Posted

Hi Pam - as well as reflux you could have whats loosely called burning mouth syndrome BMS. Lots of info on Mayo but VERY vague as anything with syndrome tacked on the end means they dont know! I had it for a year caused by drug interactions - taking four different blockers - really daft! 400mg of alpha lipoic acid twice a day fixed me up as well as stopping all the meds. I believe you cant get crook taking this stuff and the idea is you keep upping the dose until it works. I was put onto it by the head of the dental division in a University so assume it was be OK. Its mainly used to repair nerve damage in diabetics. Check if you get huge swings in mouth PH . I would say from my experience this is whats making you depressed as it really can get you down as no one seems to know what to do. I only got onto the dental guy after emailing my ENT lass pleading for help before I jumped out a window! Anyway it worked and she gave me the lead. My gastro just didnt want to know - now have a much better guy. Knowledge is not dangerous but helps make an informed decision. This could get gonged but try going onto chiro dot com and read the naturapth newsletters. One is 16 pages and truly fantastic. Talks about melatonin and in your case this really could help you. It really excited me when I read it. Hang in there things can only get better if you do positive things.
  • Posted

As I'm new to this forum I was wondering if it's American? I know Rex is Australian. It's interesting that we all seem to have problems with getting doctors to understand our issues. I suppose because my LPR was relieved by metoclopramide then it must be caused by acid reflux.
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

Are you continue to do well managing your LPR with metoclopramide? I understand it is a motility med. I'm curious since I've been suffering from LPR for close to 2 years and I get a variety of mix results with what I'm taking (I'm not taking PPI, my ENT stated that my issue is anxiety so taking lorazepan). I still have the sore throat and the pleghm badly. However I've noticed that sometimes when I get indigestions I can burp and taste what I ate 5-6hours ago, in my mind it could be that my digested food is not passing to through the pyloric valve. I do take enzymes after stopping PPIs and I think they have help me for digestion.

Any way, sorry for the long message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.