I've had a back knee pain for almost a month with almost no improvement. What is the problem?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had a back of the knee/calf problem for nearly a month now, and the pain has not gone away. I play soccer pretty competitively and noticed a pain in the back of my left knee after a practice. It would get worse the more I used my leg, whether that be walking, running, jumping, etc. I can't figure out 1, what exactly is wrong with my knee/calf, and 2, what to do to heal it. I've had several practices and games in the past month, most that I've had to sit out on, but on some occasions I don't feel any discomfort in normal everyday activities but as soon as I begin to exercise or practice the back of my knee with hurt. The only treatment I've tried is the PRICE method. Right now I think it might be gastronemius tendonopathy, mostly because I feel pain when walking down stairs, which leads me to believe it is calf related. Whatever thoughts you have on this would be appreciated, I just want to figure out what is wrong so I can get back out on the field, or at least be able to workout my legs.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Why not go and see a doctor ? . They are more qualified to diagnose your problem . Most people on here can only tell of their own experiences with Knee problems , this can be very helpful if you have been diagnosed or have had surgery , but we cant diagnose . One persons symptoms may be caused by something different to anothers . When you have been diagnosed perhaps people on here will be able to give you good advise .
  • Posted

gastrocnemius terminates in the Achilles tendon and has two heads which attach to the femur-thigh bone...so anatomically speaking this would make sense.

When you walk down stairs, you point the toes which contracts this muscle.

You have not described the pain itself.

As an athlete, I would consider an MRI.

• Posted

You need an mri. My son has exactly the same problem, afer slipping and twisting bacwards at work.

He is very fit.Turns out it's his PCL, it has a tear in it. He's had the discomfort for months, and going downstairs was painful.

Turns out, his muscle has wasted in that leg as he's compensating with the other leg.

He's been sent for physio to build up the muscle, also been told a lot of fooballers and rugby players damage this ligament, and some have it removed and still play. The muscle supports the leg.

It might not be that wih you, but sounds so similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.