I've had a cold for over 2 years now

Posted , 3 users are following.

So this started in summer 2017 and I thought it was just a cold. It then starts to get worse during the winter period and I thought it would go away. I had blocked noses so bad that I would either wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air or I wouldn't sleep that night at all because I struggled to breath. I have been sneezing and I always have a runny nose. This interferes with my studies and reduces my quality of life as I find myself breathing from my mouth if I haven't taken a nasal spray in the last 4 hours and in some cases nasal spray doesn't work for me leaving my nose blocked for a long period of time. My nose always seems swollen and I've been to the gp twice and they have said it's allergies and gave me some rubbish nasal spray and some tablets that did nothing for me even after finishing a course. I went back and they gave me pretty much the same thing even though I informed them that the last course of medication did nothing. I am stuck to using a blocked nose nasal spray every day as it's the only way I can breath from my nose. Does anyone know what this is and what I should do because I'm sick and tired of living my life this way and it's stops me from doing things like eating with my mouth closed which is annoying and I don't want to enter 2020 like this. Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That sounds rough. what sprays did the doctor give you? do you have a deviated septum? I'm guessing you've been to more than 1 ENT?

It could be allergies, but usually something like flonase would help. Do the symptoms stay the same, depending on where you are (home, work, etc..)?

• Posted

I had something like this for a year- for me it wasnt allergies- my immune system was really down (probably was triggered buy stress) and my sinuses would flair and be sensitive to mold and also flair randomly. At night it was worse and like you were describing. I found there were pathogens that werent' picked up by ent's....chronic sinus problems are layered problems. One could be a nervous system imbalance and reaction to stress, (you can do breathwork- find respire on spotify and listen to 2 bells) Breathe through your mouth if you have to but it relaxes your nervous system and helps rebuild your immune system. these condition s cause so much stress, people develop anxiety too...and some inflammation can be exacerbated by stress. Nac really helped me, and cats claw, oregano oil, glutathione, olive leaf extract. these are antivirals and bacterials which will work if you have a problem with pathogens that were undetected. Great for the whole body. these things will just help your immune system until it becomes stronger and can rebuild itself. I also liked chaga. you may have strep too- natural remedies are bananas and celery juice. I stopped taking all the crap doctors were giving me since it didn't help and made things worse. I don;t like depending on expensive medicines especially when they don't even understand exactly what I had! It's probably just that your immune system is now in a down pattern and needs a boost- but this takes some patience and tlc for yourself! Do as much as possible that can help you relax- baths, yoga, meditation and cats...ha! or whatever it is that you like- it will help you feel less stuck until this resolves. Diet is also important- lots of vegs and fruit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.