i've had a ear infection for about 3 weeks and my ears keep popping what should i do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have also gone alittle deaf in my ears and its really bugging

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Please don't leave it but go to doctor. .  I left it and had blood on my pillow from infection .. Antibiotics not stop it..'was admitted into hospital. ....  They were very concerned ... Infection can go into bone ..then into brain. ..ummm.  
  • Posted

Insist on a referral to an ENT consultant. Thus is my single most regret. I was being treated for ear infections for a full year before being diagnosed with a tumour. I have lost the hearing in my left ear as a result and it's life changing in terms of having to adjust to this disability. Am starting treatment on 13th April for the tumour. If I had only has the foresight this time last year to have taken action earlier and insist on a second opinion, I would not be in the advanced state that I am in today. It might seem like an alarmist measure, but better be safe than sorry, as I am now.
  • Posted

Dear tasha96, it is a bit difficult to advise you without knowing all your symptoms. Popping ears could be caused by congested Eustachian tubes which could open intermittently or by intermittent blockage of the ear canals due to ear discharge or wax. You need to visit your GP to have your ears examined. If your ear canals are blocked you could be helped by your practice nurse, if she is able to do ear syringing. However, if your ear canals are free of obstruction, it is more likely to be due to congestion of the middle ear (behind the ear drum) or the Eustachian tubes. These are very fine tubes which connect the back of our nose and the middle ears. We have one tube on each side and they allow air to enter the middle ear when we yawn or swallow.

Often, Eustachian tube congestion happens with common colds or allergic reactions and it takes anything between one and three weeks to settle. During this time the hearing can be slightly affected and you can hear your voice quite loudly in your ears. It all settles after the cold goes away.

However, if your symptoms are severe or last for 3 weeks and show no signs of improvement, you must make an appointment with your GP.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Mike here again. Should have mentioned a good test you can do for yourself at home to determine the level of hearing loss. Take two glasses of water, and two soluble tablets, such as Solphadeine or Panadol Extra soluble. Dissolve one in each glass, one at a time. Place the glass behind your ear, and record the time it takes for you to hear the tablet dissolving fully. Use your better ear first. Then repeat the test with the second glass of water and your troublesome ear. As well as recording the time, make a note on a scale of 1 to 10 the level of noise you can hear in each ear as the tablets dissolve. For me, I couldn't hear anything in my left ear at all. I then knew I had a serious problem. By the way, I am 54 years old and otherwise very active and healthy. When I described this exercise to my GP, I then got a referral letter to the ENT consultant. 'Twas then that my tumour was diagnosed. It was growing from my brain into my ear canal, hence the reason it went undetected with regular ear examinations. Give it a try, to rule it in or out as the case may be. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hi there I'm in this same situation now was given amoxocillin now on clarithromycin my left is is almost completely deaf and tinnitus in it. It started with a cold. I'm into my second week of being deaf and it's really worrying me. My ear feels like it has lots of pressure in it . The fluid has stopped now and pain not to bad. Did you ever get your problem sorted.

Thanks

Kerry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.