I've had a lump in my throat for 5 years and it won't go away, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had a lump in my throat for 5 years now and because of this I incessantly swallow. I believe it is caused by a severe anxiety disorder. I have ignored this problem for its duration, but 3 days ago it occured to me that I should do something about it. I have started drinking more water, chewing gum, stopped drinking soda and even started masturbating. The lump has been suppressed slightly however now my throat is sore and still feels tight and like it is going to close; although I have noticed I am swallowing less. I am open to any suggestions you all may have! I am willing to try anything and appreciate your help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Also I forgot to mention I am 20 years old and going to be a Junior at my university in the United States. I have a good social life and interests so I don't understand why this issue persists.

• Posted

Your right to link it with anxiety, it's very common, especially when it lasts for a long time. Sadly it simply will not stop until the root anxiety is dealt with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.