I’ve had a productive cough for a year, please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well over a year ago i started to notice I was developing a cough. I decided to go and visit my doctor who said this may be a result of asthma so I was treated for asthma for a few months with multiple different inhalers. Eventually after no progress was being made my doctor decided to rule out asthma and look at acid reflux instead. I took medication for acid reflux and even went on a strict diet to see if this made a difference to my cough. It didn't. I then got told that this may be due to post nasal drip. So i have had multiple steroid nose sprays and drips. Some offer short term relief, but nothing that I am trying takes away this cough! I have been refereed to ENT at the hospital although due to the current situation it is a very long wait. I have had chest X-Rays which have came back as clear. My problem is just I feel as if I have mucus at the back of my throat/nose and no matter how much I cough up I cant clear it for good. I look forward to reading any responses and hopefully I can get some results soon! Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Connor

I have ILD (INTERSITIAL LUNG DISEASE) which is a result of an inflamation on my lung which restricts my breathing

I keep getting similar coughs & sometimes Im coughing up elasicated phlegm -sometime s with green in it & sometimes its clear but still elasticated ,& sometimes Its just dry coughing

I take lemsip to subdue it so I get a good nights sleep without waking up coughing & one in the morning so I can have a decent day & if I need any more then take them (according to the lemsip rules

I was referred to NMGH & the doctor gave me some tablets to help me cough it up to clear my lungs but after a fortnight taking them -one day I coughed so hard - not only did I strain myself whih was very painful I actually fully got sick so Ive stopped taking them & decided to cough it up naturally & if I need to subdue it to give me some decent sleep all night & one in the morning to get a decent day without uncomfortable coughing

I ll be having a phone call with my doctor this week so I ll be telling her that

• Posted

Hello Connor,

After reading your symptoms I have exactly the same. Have you got any further forward?

I have had my cough for a number of years. Chest Xray was clear. acid reflux tablets don't help. I do think allergy tablets help a bit. I have also got a blocked nose, 12 months of the year. I am quite an allergy person, my eyes sometimes sting and run. I am wheat intolerant. The last few weeks I've had coughing fits which I haven't before. Obviously this worries me. I have been given a blue inhaler. It makes me cough more! I have constant mucus in the back of my throat which at times comes up. Its clear. Would be interesting to hear from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.