I've had a thyroidectomy, but I'm having severe muscle cramping.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a thyroidectomy in April of 2015. I've been (and still am) on Levothyroxine 112 mcg for much of the time (although in the beginning I started with 150 mcg & 125 mcg right after surgery). For the past few months I've been getting severe muscle cramping all over my body with any movement (especially my lower legs and feet). I've lost some weight, but I'm having severe itchy scalp and light hair fallout. I'm also having heart palpitations again (even though I'm still on metroprolol 25mg a day.  I take vitamin D3 5000mg every other day, and recently started taking Tums (2, 3x a day) for calcium as suggested by my doctor. My doctor seemed a lil' concerned and tested my levels (which they do anyway every 3 months). But, it comes back "normal" every time. Is it true, that certain tests or labs may not be as accurate? Or, are they not testing my parathyroid levels? My thyroid was covered in huge goiters to the point where, when they went to remove my thyroid, my pararhyroids were encased in the goiters. The surgeon had to reattach one of them to a nearby muscle. I'm at my wits end. Should I look for another doctor? Are there other meds I should be on? I just feel like something is wrong that they are missing. HELP! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor to check your vitamin and mineral levels; you may be deficient in iron. My mom  has hypothyroidism and she had serious leg cramps too  until she started supplementing.
  • Posted

Dear Nana ... 

get yourself a good quality and high dose Magnesium .. for starters  I take Magnesium Glycinate which I tolerate well 

There are many Magnesiums to take but some cause diarrhea ..

And did with me .. until I took 

Mag Glycinate ..

B12 sublingual

( under the tongue ) 

Take D3  ...

( 2,000IU  per day is considered safe .. ) 

....take every day , but also take along with it K2 mk7

.......To make sure that it directs calcium to bones  and not to soft tissue  where it can cause problems .

These things should certainly help greatly with your muscle cramps ...

I'm not medically trained but these minerals and vitamins have been tried and tested by many on here with great success

You could check with dr if youre uncertain whether or not they'd suit you ..

you  can get those online at Amazon and get next day delivery 

Best of luck 

Mx🌹

• Posted

Metoprolol is a beta blocker that treats high blood pressure and heart stress after a heart attack. I wonder why you're still taking this. Can I suggest you research the less common side effects of this drug. Also I dont understand why he has told you to take Tums instead of proper calcium replacements. Please make sure your vit d and calcium levels are properly monitored. Also look into taking L carnetine which will protect your heart and aids oxygen delivery and also magnesium as has been suggested. Magnesium deficiency can cause cramping. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, just to let you know, instead if oral Magnesium you can use Magnesium oil (Mg is well absorbed transdermally).
  • Posted

I agree with everything all the other responders have said.  I would ask your doc to test your Total Carnitine and Free carnitine levels and if they are deficient supplement with 3,000 to 4,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine.  There was a medical research study by an Italian Endocrinologist that documented hyperthyroid patients benefited from this dosage.  While this is usually available in Health Food stores in capsules, I got it in liquid form by doctor's prescription so it would be easier to take that dosage.  I realize you are hypothyroid now but before your thyroid was removed, you must have been running hyper and all hyper patients suffer from vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies because of this.  Carnitine is an amino acid that is normally found in the body.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.