I've had a tightness in my chest, having trouble breathing for the past few days? idk what's wrong

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello I'm Jessica, I'm 16 years old pretty healthy kid but I've been having some problems lately. I have a tight feeling in my chest, breathing feels shallow I guess. I feel like I'm not getting enough air in. 

This is the 2ed time I've had this problem but the first time wasn't as bad as it has been lately. The first time this happened I had the feeling to burp and some tightness in my chest. But lately it's gotten worse. The burping has stopped but the tightness has gotten worse in my chest to the point where it makes it impossible to sleep the breathing isn't as bad tho if I'm distracted it doesn't bother me but when I lay down It gets bad, hard to breath and the tightness gets worse. When I sit up or stand or bend over slightly like over my bed or the counter there's some relief to the tightness. 

Anything helps please, I have school starting soon I need my sleep and normal breathing back!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Oh and anytime this happens seem to be close to my period? I don't know if it has anything to do with it. 

• Posted

My daughter experiences similar and after reading many other posts I tend to think this is anxiety related.   The way you may be breathing may be aggravating it. I found a video online that I shared with my daughter of a psychologist explaining a method that might help.   Maybe you can find it.  Basically you may be breathing into your chest rather than into your belly. Put one hand on chest and one on belly.  Your chest or shoulders shouldn't rise . But your belly should.  Try this exercise and or course seek a Dr if it continues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.