I've had a TKR on both knees, 3 months apart. Is it normal for them to be so different?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a TKR on my right knee 4/17/17. It seems like I bounced back fairly well. They did the left knee 7/20/17. I'm in more pain with this one. It seems like I can not do as much as quick as I did with the right knee. Is this normal? I'm still in a lot of pain at night and seem to be going through a depression. PT. Seems to be hurting worse than the other knee did. Has anyone else had these issues?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it's normal for knees to get different results.  Be patient. Read up on here.  You know that improvements take time.  We've all felt down, and in pain.  It is a awful operation but 18 months after 2 done together, life is rather grand. Never give up!

• Posted

Hi lyn, I had my TKR January 25 of this year. It was feeling pretty good but now it is hurting me. I moved that leg in bed and I saw stars! I also get sharp pains once in a while. Still hurts going up and down stairs but I do it correctly. At 7 months did you have good and bad days? Sometimes I feel I am going backwards. Any thing you can contribute would be helpful!
    • Posted

Thank you. I do not plan on giving up, I just got married for the first time in 24 years. My husband is awesome and very supportive but I feel bad the first year we are married, I've been going through this. I know it will get better and I'm ready for my "ah ha" moment. 

• Posted

I've had those pains that make you see stars! One night I woke up screaming because I had kicked real hard like a karate move. I don't know what I was dreaming, but it about killed me. I hate you feel like your going backwards, I have felt this way with the first surgery myself but I think it's just from using it more now that I've had the other knee done. 

• Posted

Hi Chris!

My two TKRs were three and a half months apart in June and October of 2015. My second one (right knee) was a breeze compared to my first! In fact, by the time I left the hospital just two days after my surgery with #2 Knee, it was already feeling as good as the one done first, three and a half months before!

I had TERRIBLE swelling with my left knee ( first surgery). It was several months before I could lift it at all. It felt like there were cement blocks weighing it down. I wondered if the replacement parts were made of IRON!!!

I didn't have much pain with either leg, but the swelling and stiffness of my first knee was AWFUL!

I had the same surgeon, same hospital, with both knees. I was amazed how different they felt. Hard to believe things were SO different with my experiences!

• Posted

I had the same surgeon and same hospital also. The right knee just went so smooth compared to the left one. Even PT has went differently. My bones had grown crooked from walking on bone to bone and he had to cut way up in my thigh and cut the muscles out to straighten the bone for the part to fit. This was on both legs. This last surgery it has been harder to get those muscles working. It's like trying to lift cement. My ROM is 105. At this stage with the right knee my ROM was 120. The deep ache is there 24/7 and at night it is horrible. The pain meds do not even numb it anymore. When I try to walk up or down a step, the tightness across my knee is bad. The hardest thing to do is stand up from a sitting position. I can't sit on anything low. When I stand up it shoots a horrible pain around my kneecap and the muscles tighten. I had several days of muscle spasms. The depression is setting in. I've battled the issue of not walking for 2 years now. It's finally about over and I still can't do normal things. I'm too anxious I suppose. 

• Posted

I think it is just natural to expect a relatively quick recovery after surgery. I had two C-sections and a Myomectomy over an eight year span of time. Came home, cared for the baby, cooked dinner for everybody, did laundry and was FINE! THESE SURGERIES...Couldn't lift my leg and had swelling for WEEKS! Had to learn to walk all over again. Getting I to our soaker tub to take a shower was a real ordeal. I was shocked to realize how different these surgeries were from my abdominal surgeries!

Are you stretching? Once I really started stretching throughout the day and even at night if I woke during the night after an hour or two of sleep, I really noticed a difference.

To help with getting up from a seated position, try doing some squats every hour or so. Don't feel that you need to go very deep. It's more about the strengthening of those quad muscles of the legs which helps with walking and sitting abd getting up from a chair or out of a car.

Take your time and concentrate. Don't try to go too fast or do too many at first. Build on previous day practices.

Let us know how things go!😄

• Posted

Thank you. I will try those tips! I went back to work after this last surgery sooner than I did the first. I think I overdone it too. I still use my shower chair for the bath. I can't even imagine trying to get in and out of the tub. I'm craving a hot bath to soak! My anniversary and birthday are this weekend and my husband is taking me to a hotel with a hot tub and pool so that I can get in some water and relax! I hope it helps! I have been stretching a lot but my hamstring is really havin issues. I'm still having muscle spasms at times when I stand up. I am starting the squats today that you suggested! Again, Thanks so much! 

• Posted

Stretching is not often stressed as much as the exercises, but I agree with you it makes a huge difference☺
  • Posted

Had both mine done same time my doctor says one knee is always worse than the other.for me it was my left knee.I think it also has to do with whether your joint damages was to the inside or the outside of the joint.
    • Posted

They wouldn't do mine ar the same time even tho they were as equally bad. He started with the right knee because it was staying swollen more.  Everyone told me the first would be the worst. Obviously they were wrong. Lol

• Posted

Sorry you could not get both done same time I thank God that I did,I would never have done it again.my biggest problem was the rehab place screwed up my meds the whole time I was there.never on time, the cpa's great,or pt staff great. Glad to go home. Still have swelling in my left leg because I got a clot due to the fact I never got my blood thinner in rehab,now I have scare tissue. sad

• Posted

Oh my! I'm so sorry you have had medical issues! I'm a CNA and a Phlebotomist and I take pride in my job. I hate you had some bad ones. I hope things get better. Prayers! 

• Posted

Every procedure and knee is different. I had trouble with my right TKR and Doctor and therapist said the left knee won't be as bad. Ha!  I am going to put off the left as long as I can. Good luck to you. There are many facing depression from this. Just do your best, as the worst is over. 

• Posted

Thank you...I keep telling myself it's almost over with.  Don't put it off too long and end up in more pain. Mine was only 3 months apart and I was starting to hurt the first knee from overcompensating from the other one needing surgery. I kind of wish I could've had them done at the same time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.