I’ve had an appendectomy and told that my appendix looked fibrous. What does that mean?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I posted on here a few months back about my attempt to get some treatment, following months of pain from when my appendix perforated and formed an abcess, an appendix mass. I had an exploratory laproscopy a few days ago, where they found a virtually intact appendix, told me it didnt look infected, but was fibrous. they have sent it to pathology. just wondering what could this mean?

Ive had the pain of appendicitis at varying levels, before and ever since it "perforated". I have visited a and e 6 times when my symptons have been acute and been admitted once for a bowel blockage , in my opinion as a result of the appendix affecting it since the appendix mass. I have had 3 contrast CT scans, 1 MRI , 2 xrays, 2 ultrasounds, since the perforated appendix. All have come back with results stating there is no appendix left. How can that happen?

The lower gi surgical team are not keen to share too many details. having been hassling them to do something to help me for 9months , I am not their favourite patient, so I cant see them passing on much info from pathology.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

When I had my perforated appendix, my appendix was completely burst so they found it in bits and pieces (I also had infection). It took me at maximum 2 months or so to heal properly and I think after that I didn't have any issue what so ever. At that time the doctor who treated me was experienced and extremely skilled guy and explained to me that if the guy who was not experienced with this type of situation might make mistake at it. So if it is possible for you to get opinion from another surgeon, then you should definitely try for that. I may be wrong, but 9 months to get healed is way more than expected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.