I’ve had awful genital herpes for 6 days- help

Posted , 5 users are following.

6 days ago i started getting symptoms of genital herpes which i thought was a uti at the time - this is the first time ive ever had it. 3 days ago i was told i had genital herpes, given aciclovir and told it would start working very quickly. The pain has been unbearable these past 6 days and it just doesnt seem to be going which is making me super fed up. The external sores seem to be slowly healing however the more internal sores which are causing me the awful pain just dont seem to be changing. have i just not given the tablets long enough to work? Is this ever going to go away?!

ive also been having salt baths to try and help too

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A bad outbreak like this one can last up to 2 weeks unfortunately.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Aciclovir is only partly effective. It tends to be most effective if you take it from day one of the outbreak so your three day delay was unfortunate.

I think you are in for a few more days of pain, but it will heal up eventually.

As you probabley know you might get further outbreaks, but they won't be as bad as this first one.

• Posted

Aciclovir didn’t work very well for me! Valtrex works better. Maybe you could ask to try that instead! Both antivirals and Valtrexs breaks down to Aciclovir but I dunno didn’t agree with me. Feel free to message me if you need a chat or some tips 😃

• Posted

Look up LYSINE. It may work for you and you could get it over the counter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.