I've had chest pains that would come and go for 4 1/2 months what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok, so last July 2017 I had a spontaneous Pneumothorax aka collapse lung. My lung was re-inflated and back to way it should. Then later in that year I started have chest pains. Started kind of on the side of my body felt like some sort of pull or tension on the side of my body. I than started to get mild chest pains in different areas of my chest. These chest pains would come and go. At first I didn't think much about it I just thought I was something minor and I tried to ignore it when I felt the pains thinking it will probably go away on its own. It didn't, over the next 2 months it slowly got worse and worse, now I have random sharp chest pains that go all over in random spots of the chest. This is likely not anxiety cause I forget about the pains when they are not happening. The random pain reminds that I still have the problem. So one day I was scared enough to go to the doctor to see what the problem is and if there could be a solution. I did an x-Ray and ekg. Nothing came up on either one. My doctor recommended me to see a cardiologist. And the cardiologist had a "this is most likely pointless appointment" kind of attitude I was so kind I couldn't figure out why. He said that a lot of things could cause chest pain, such as a possibility that the surgeon could have struck a nerve when installing the chest tube during my collapse lung back in July. He said if I wanted to I could do a 24 hour heart monitor and Ultrasound of my heart. And cause he made it sound like this wasn't a big deal I choose not to go through with it because I wasn't feeling that much pain that day specifically. Looking back on it now that was stupid of me to not agree to do it. So I one day I was scared that there could be something insanely wrong with me that someone is missing. So I went to the hospital and I did another X-ray and ekg. And the doctor said he thinks he knows what it is I think it is musculoskeletal pain. He said that from the pneumothorax collapse lung I had back in July could have caused inflammation when they inserted the chest tube. He gave me some prednisone for 5 days worth to deal with the pain. So I did that but the medicine didn't seem to have any effect at all. So I followed up with my primary doctor and told him the update. And he was soo confused as to why on earth I'm having such crazy chest pains. He wanted to know who on earth installed my chest tube during the pneumothorax. He gave some numbers one was for a doctor that helps with anxiety, a new cardiologist number, and a number for a pulmonary doctor. Things were starting to get expensive at this point cause of all the medical visits. So I tried to wait a little longer for me to catch up on payments. Than one night I picked up brother from work. And my chest was hurting really bad that night. And I want to give the hospital another chance. So I went to the hospital again. And ironically as unlikely as it is. The doctor that I had that night was the same surgeon that installed my chest tube from the pneumothorax in July. So I thought what a relief if anyone can figure out the problem it's him. That night I had another X-ray, a ekg, blood work, 2 different types of CT Scans. After I discribed the symptoms with the doctor he looked at all the test I did that night. And asked him what is causing my chest pain (and I know a doctor told me before that it was musculoskeletal pain, but there is lots of different types of musculoskeletal pain) thinking about it, musculoskeletal and chest pain are almost the same technically. But the doctor told me he's not sure what was causing my chest pain. Ok in my head I was think this is absolutely unacceptable. There are lots of things it could be. How could you simply just not have any idea. No diagnosis, no medicine. Slipped Rib, pleurisy, Costochondritis, tietze syndrome, palpitations, fractured rib, inflammation of the chest wall, these are all possibilities. How can you say "I don't know". So they sent me home with nothing but a bill I'm going to have to pay. Ok so I called the new cardiologist that the doctor gave me. And I agreed with the cardiologist to go through with the 24 hour heart monitor Ultrasound. I did that for 24 hours. Returned it and a nurse called and said that my results were good and nothing came up. So 2 days ago the right side of my chest feels insanely bad now. Just as painful as the pneumothorax I had last July. But my breathing doesn't seem to effect the pain. This new pain I can feel constantly and I can now force the pain by pushing down on the area. This pain hurts so bad that I can only sleep on my left side. And to much stretching on my right side triggers it. What the heck is wrong with me my pain won't go away and I hate it soo bad. It's literally ruining my life. I missed work today and yesterday cause of it. I'm 20 years old.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

How are you now? Hope ur ok! Did you get any answers? I’m going through the same thing with chest pains lasting over 3 months it’s literally ruined my life 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.