I've had decompression surgery and a shunt inserted, 3 yrs ago, still suffering symptoms.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a Chiari malformation, diagnosed in 2013.  I initially had decompression surgery in 2013 which helped with symptoms initially for 6 months, then all symptoms returned with vengeance.  I become very ill with lots of sickness, nausea, terrible headaches etc.  I ended up having a shunt inserted to regulate the fluid around my brain, basically treatment for hydrocephalus.  This was in 2014, and unfortunately I still get headaches, balance problems, tiredness, and a very poor memory!  Most of these problems may have been caused by a haemorrhage I suffered during the second operation.  I would like to have some sort of discussion with my surgeons to find out what exactly happened and what I can expect in the future.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Is violently to read, especially since it has become worse.

I have my surgery done on 4 september last year and now I see no improvement.

Next month should I return to the hospital for an MRI scan and I'm curious what comes out.

• Posted

Dear Jermaine, I cant actually say that my origional symptoms have become worse, I don't have daily awful headaches now, just periodical headaches that can be nasty occasionally.  I am sure you still have time to see an improvement, I am sure your doctors say it is early days yet!  I hope your MRI goes well and quells some of your fears.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your post.

I hope for you that things are going better, and that it's about.

If I know more then I leave it here on the forum know.

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Did you had syrinx? Did the surgeon opened your dura and put a patch if i might ask?

Do you still have the shunt ?

Thank you

• Posted

I dont know what a syrinx is so I can only assume that I do not have one!  In my first op I had a piece of skull removed ..ie decompression surgery ,,,again I have no knowledge of  a patch.  Yes I do still have the shunt, I assume I will always have it.
  • Posted

That the right thing to do...
    • Posted

Its the right thing to do to have decompression...you can ask your gp what they have done on your surgery, or on your letter when you have been discharged, they should outline what they have done ..so you know..what you had....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.