I've had floaters since primary school and feel that I'm going blind.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m 17 and have been suffering with floaters for as long as I can remember. When I first noticed them, I went to the opticians, where I was referred to the hospital for extensive testing. They sent me away as there was “nothing” wrong. A couple of years later, I noticed that they were getting worse so I went back to the opticians. She said that there is a chance that I could go blind as the solution in my eyes are breaking down. I’m paranoid that I will go blind, I know there is a cure but it may not work. My vision is getting worse and I’m struggling to read.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stop worrying but ask your optician to refer you back to the hospital.  If the optician will not refer you then ask your doctor to refer you. I was completely stressed out a few years ago when my optician said the we’re referring me to the hospital to be seen the next day because I had a sight threatening condition.  I was seen at the hospital a few days later because they were not as concerned as the optician, I go for yearly checks at the hospital but my vision has not deteriorated.  Get yourself referred and get peace of mind, my floaters are always worse when I am stressed and anxious and always worse in the bright summer days than they are at any other time of year. Take care
  • Posted

My wife has had floaters since she was eleven years of age. She's 54 now and has only recently needed to wear glasses occaisionallyfor reading. She has had regular eye tests over the years and nothing untoward has been found. I would get checked out by the professionals to be on the safe side.Good luck

• Posted

You must be referred back to an ophthalmologist.  Dont delay, you need expert advice .
  • Posted

They can replace the fluid in your eyeball to get rid of the floaters and new fluid is placed in eyeball. Im not a doctor so dont know proper medical terms. I have a floater too since I was 37 . Im 64 now but doesn't bother me as much as in younger days. Try that with your doctor or peeferably opthamologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.