I've had full body tremors, weakness, shaking and spasms for months. Anxiety too. Could this be MS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I could really use other opinions on this if possible. I've been dealing with this for so long and the doctors haven't offered any help, and I'm getting worse every day.

It started a few months ago when I was biking in the summer. I went to take a drink from my water bottle, but when I squeezed, my whole hand would shake the more pressure I put on it. At first I didn't give it much thought and went about my day. Then I noticed while lying bed and reading that my right hand tremored trying to hold the book. I ignored it and went to sleep. A few weeks later I find that my limbs are starting to "feel" weak. I can still lift and jump as high as I did before, but there's a feeling in my legs and arms like I had gone for a long run. Also, even at rest, there was a "vibrating" kind of feeling throughout my body. As time went on, I realized that I couldn't lift my legs, arms, or tilt my feet up or curl them without that limb immediately starting to spasm. Now they do this as soon as they are engaged. Then I started having fits at night where I would wake up and couldn't feel my limbs, or move them right away. I've had that before where I slept the wrong way or on top of them, but this was not that. I woke up this morning with my legs and torso spasming, as if I had chills or something. It's terrifying, and now I can't go to sleep without this happening in some for or another. I also have stated noticing tingling and slight pain in my left arm and hand. 

I've been to a GP, neurologist, urgent care doctors and a chiropractor over the past month or so. I've had an MRI of the head, EMG and nerve conduction test, and numerous blood tests (Lyme disease, TCH, some vitamins, etc.)

Today I had extreme brain fog where I literally felt like my head was numb. It's incredibly scary and the urgent care clinic said they could do nothing for me. If this is all anxiety that's awesome, but I don't feel like it is. My condition has never fluctuated, but only gotten worse. Usually with anxiety it has it's ups and downs. I'm worried since they didn't do an MRI of the spine that it could be something there, like a tumor or MS lesions. Or ALS. 

Does anybody have any feedback on this or experience or help you can give me? Thank you for your time!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hm, Are you exposed to mold ? What was your vitamin labs like? Are you outdoors a lot? Do you have any one in your family with nuero problems?
    • Posted

Thank you for replying!

I don’t think I’m exposed to mold but not sure. This did all start happening when I moved into a new apartment though, but it seems nice. They did a bunch of blood tests (Tsh, comprehensive metabolic panel, vitamin d b12 and magnesium, etc) CRP was high at first, 3.2, but they did it again a few days later and it was back down to 0.1. I’m not outdoors much right now since the temps are in the negatives but I want to get out there. I’m adopted so no true family history, but my birth mom says her niece has MS at 27 (Her mom’s daughter with different Dad I believe)

• Posted

It could be mold exposure for sure. It's a bi**ch too treat and find. It can cause a huge slew of problems. I don't know where you are from but if you were outdoors a lot in the warmth you can very much have Lyme disease. Testing is horrible for it. And, MS is MS so it might be good too look more into testing for that or at least keep your eye open for signs of it. I have these same symptoms but I believe I have Lyme disease or mold exposure. Or even co infections of Lyme.  It'd be good to do more research and educate yourself about these. Do you have any other symptoms besides the ones you listed?

• Posted

You have a lot of different symptoms over a short period of time.  I don't have MS (or at least I don't think so) but last year around this time I had symptoms that made me worry I had it.  Like you, I did all the same tests that were negative.  I have always suffered from anxiety/depression and it ran wild with me during this period.  However, I only had a couple symptoms.  I do think mine were enhanced due to anxiety and others were probably always there and I just never noticed them.  I was suffering at the time with constant UTI's and on a lot of antibiotics that wrecked havoc with my system.

In your case, perhaps getting the MRI on the spine would ease your mind.   I don't think though that ALS can be diagnosed that way.  I worried about ALS too, but the EMG would likely have shown something.  I do know though that ALS and MS is hard to diagnose and you can have clean tests and still have it.

I tend to think all your problems are not due to anxiety.  Why not get some anti-anxiety meds and see if you feel better on them.

Also, I spent a lot of time on MS forums, etc. and I never read anyone have all those different symptoms that you have.  

I can certainly relate to the waking up terrified.  I would get these electrical brain zaps.  Thank goodness for klonopin.

• Posted

Just about a month ago I was doing some heavy lifting when I must have pulled a muscle. The following week I had major discomfort in my upper left chest and neck along the collarbone. I also suffered from cold shakes throughout the week. One and a half weeks after that, my aches and pains were generally nonexistent except for a few bruised muscles, but I had developed a shudder in my chest whenever I breathed. It was at this time that I received both blood work and an ECG (awaiting results). My GP told me they were anxiety shakes. Since last weeks appointment, I’ve developed full body tremors along the arms, hands, both legs and torso heading down to my waist. I’ve been suffering from an onset of muscle spasms, especially in the left foot. I have aches in my muscles. I can’t tell if I feel weaker overall (in my extremities or body), as I have unrelated bowel problems which for the past two years have encouraged a lazy, lethargic lifestyle. That causes muscle wastage in itself. I read up on issues like this ALL the time (unwisely), and it seems like a lot of youth suffer from these problems. Best of luck with your issues!

But, talking about mold... guess what I found in the washroom I spend hours of a day inside? Mold under the tiles! Mold is a direct link to many illnesses, so much as I understand. Once the GP offices open I’ll be making an appointment in the hopes to get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, storebound to buy a mask and cleaning ingredients...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.