I've had multiple EBV tests done in the last month and need some help understanding them.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last month I tested negative for VCA IgM, but tested positive for VCA IgG, EA-D, and EBNA. A month later, I thought we were rechecking these values, but instead my nurse practitioner did an EBV PCR test which came back negative. What does it mean that I tested very high for those 3 EBV antibody tests and then a month later tested negative for the EBV DANA test?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That should say EBV DNA not DANA.
  • Posted

Hi Paige,

I'm sorry I can't really be of much help in terms of the technical side of blood tests, I'm not medically minded in that respect. My only real understanding is that you get a blood test for EBV and it shows either positive or negative for the virus, which indicates mono / glandular fever.

I hope you are feeling okay and there may be others on the forum here able to advise with this kind of thing. Hang in there - you will get better I believe.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Paige,

​I am not sure on the EBV DNA test, my doctor has not run that test for me. I think that if you are Igm negative and positive on the others it means you had the virus and it is now dormant and the others are antibodies to the virus you had. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer this question.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.