I've had my 1st botox, will see what happens.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Thank you so much to Sharon and Angela for the support, have had my botox, will have to wait it out and see what happens.  The neuro said that 

according to my MRI I have it on both sides and you know what in the past few weeks have felt a few little tics come from the other side, oh well just have to take it in my stride, he said a different doctor would be dealing with the operation when and should it happen and that he would have to do a side at a time which is understandable, he also reminded me that this op has it's own risks.  Will wait and see. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well done Gwen on having your first lot of Botox.  Hope you quickly feel some relief.  It must have been a bit of a shock to be told that you have HFS on both sides and it's good that you are taking it in your stride and dealing with one problem at a time.  You may find that an experienced neurosurgeon will be better able to explain things if you decide to consult with one.  I have read that it's quite possible to have a compression without actually having the symptoms of HFS; let's hope this is true in your case.  In terms of the risks of surgery...........   they are well known and should be respected, but many of us have come through this operation with no complications at all, and most people who write on these forums report that they wish they had had surgery much sooner.  But, that's for another day!  Take care Gwen. x
    • Posted

Thanks so much Ange, and will take that on board and as you say so many of you have had the operation and yes I see it time and time again, people have said, "I don't know why I didn't have it done  in the first place", as always I am glad to have you, you are a big help. 
  • Posted

Gwen, well done on your first round of botox.  The first set I had, I got almost instant relief, the second set it took about two weeks before I realised things had settled right down.  I too was told the same as Ange regarding having compressions on both sides, sometimes you can have them and they don't cause an issue.  It really is a strange condition how it affects everyone differently.  Do you mind me asking where/how much you got botox wise, just seeing if it's similar to me.  Don't be worrying about things too much at the moment, as you say, that's another day, just take it at your own pace.  Everyone tells me I will know when I am ready for surgery and as I said before, I keep hoping in the meantime something even better will come along to rid us of this crappy spasm xx
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon, he injected just above my right brow, my eyelid, below the eye and just on the cheek bone and like you told me, he only injected small amounts and said if I found that hadn't done the job then I should phone and make an appointment and they would step up the dosage. It was good to talk to you and Ange before I went cause I then knew what to expect and I felt really calm about the situation. I guess when you decide you've just had enough of the twitches then ans only then will you bite the bullet.  Do you still get the spasms or has the botox calmed things quite a bit?
    • Posted

Sharon  and Ange Please tell me if you know of anyone that hasn't taken to the first botox, my eye is still in spasm mode not sure if I have to give it a few more days till it kicks in as the doctor only mentioned 2 to 3 days.  
    • Posted

Hi Gwen.  Sorry to report that my Botox lady told me that results should become apparent within 48 hours and that was how it worked for me.  I think Sharon is right in recommending a 'reaction diary' so that you can log the changes, if any!   It still remains very important that the Botox administrator ups the dose very gradually; much better to do it in very small steps and not end up with an over-freeze!
  • Posted

Gwen, how strange he told you a few days, my neuro told me it can take up to two weeks before you get full benefit of it, but that I might start feeling some reduction in frequency and intensity leading up to that time.  The first set I had, I got almost immediate relief, so I was really disappointed the second set as it really did take nearly two weeks for me to get the full benefit, so don't give up yet.  Everyone is different and don't forget, it is a toxin, your body getting used to this and it will kick in, I promise.  If you find it doesn't give you the full relief you wanted, then he can up the dose for the next set.  I was given a weekly diary to keep to mark it out of 100 and so he could see if I needed more.  Give it another few days Gwen before you decide if you need to up the dosage love x
  • Posted

Hi gwen how are you now you had Botox injections has it worked for you? I'm going for my Mri on Monday 11 th I've not had Botox yet see wat scan shows some days are good having not so good today a lot pulling around my left eye I hate this hfs 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.