I’ve had orif surgery after falling on my ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi was just wondering if anyone has had the same as me I broke my ankle 7weeks ago and have 1 plate and screws on one side and on the other side a screw, my cast came off 2 days ago at 6 weeks and the consultant said I could weight bare 😬 I’ve tried but I cannot put no weight on my foot at all it’s so painful is this normal? And us anyone else had this pain when trying to weight bare? Why can’t I do this? 😔

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela 

Had a cast on for 6 weeks

Given an air boot and told to walk with it on and off and weight bear. Really struggled as I could only weight bear on strong painkillers- saw the doc who was brill and advised to take medication regularly and weight bear and rest as much as my body will allow. I’m three weeks no cast and providing I’ve taken my pain relief regularly I’m walking about (limping) the house and outside with one crutch two crutches and sometimes no crutches - still hurts a bit

Preserve x x

• Posted

Experiencing some pain when beginning to weight bear can be normal. I'm almost 8 months post up and also have a plate and screws. I immediately started PT when the doctor told me I could start walking (I'm in the US). The first thing they had me do was just stand and shift weight on to and off my injured foot (in a boot). This helped me adjust to the pain. Over the next several weeks I began walking, increasing the amount of weight on my injured ankle over time. I found most of my pain was in my heel and was told this was simply from not using it for so many weeks. Make sure to still rest a lot. Take pain meds if needed and go slowly. It'll get better.

• Posted

Yes go slowly, take your meds and it’s okay to just say that’s enough.  It’s not all or nothing it’s walking for 15 min one day and maybe 30 the next........ at first I would measure it how many places I could go.  Grocery store then I would get in the riding cart.   Then home.  Cloths store I would use my knee scooter then go home.  It depends on how much u can tolerate, just do a little more each day.  My feet would cramp and muscles would jerk from lack of use.  But getting out was worth it!
    • Posted

Thanks Winnie, I can’t put no weight on my foot at all 😣or walk how long do you think it could take me to put all my weight on my foot? So I can try and walk. 

• Posted

First and foremost, you have to suffer, no getting away from it at all.

I had same orif as you to left ankle plus a bonus of other screws in other broken bones in foot....awful !

Anyway, I was in vast 78 days, once it's off and your consultant tells you to weight bear, get on it, (with the aid of crutches obviously at first) I'm nearly 3 weeks fwb and yes it can be painful but there's progress.

Please bear in mind, there in now metal in your ankle so the bones are now hardened and everything is structure sound, so the pain you have to endure is getting your foot flat on the ground and then getting the ankle moving again.

No easy way around it, you have to get it moving or the long term problems will be much worse, so use whatever pain relief you have and plenty of ice afterwards, but get on it and get it moving, remember, your not alone....good luck.

• Posted

I had timalleolar fracture on 28 February, with surgery, plate and screws.No put weight for 8 weeks.Now, I'm walking without crutches, but there is pain sometimes when the wheather changes.You will be fine .Good luck!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.