I've had PF for 10 years. It seems to be permanent, and am not sure if physical therapy can help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I should probably ask my podiatrist this, but I have 1000 things going on, and I never get a chance to ask her everything.

Plantar fasciitis is supposed to clear up for people around 95% of the time, or so the statistics say. But in my case, I've only gotten worse over the years.

I used to run around 45 minutes a week, and when I upped that to around 100 minutes a week, that's when my feet didn't like it and I began to feel cold and hot changes in my feet. For some reason, I pressed on and the rest is history. For three months, I would push myself to do exercises that would hurt my feet at the end of the day, and now I'm not sure if I can actually come back from that.

I've done physical therapy on and off for 10 years. I've iced, massaged, epsom salt soaked, and used the TENS device. Nothing works. I met with a nurse that told me she had PF and that she just lives with it. Get orthotics and just learn to deal with it.

I'm sure if I put in the effort, I might eventually heal myself? Or am I stuck this way for life?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

rocker shoes helped my feet after nothing else worked. rest feet wear good arch supports in new soft insoles. have had pf for years and finally had followed the suggested things in first sentence. haent had a problem yet.. i takes time for the stressto heal as your walk with rocker shoes takes the pressure of the feet that causes PF.

Good Luck. patience it will take a few weeks before you see improvement.

• Edited

Hi barbara66703 ,

Can you please post a pic of rocker shoes. Is this a name of a brand?

• Edited

Strapping. Found it helped the most. Use non elastic tape (1" wide). 2 pieces 4" long. Place them on the sides of your foot. These will be the "anchors" for the 3 pieces that are tightly pulled on the arch of the foot. Can leave on for a few days even, then replace.

• Edited

in the past tried the tape. it does interfere with blood flow and restrict arch movement when ising stairs. depends on age and foot injury if tape helps...only short term.

• Posted

What has helped me is wearing a plantar fasciitis splint during the night. I noticed that my feet would hurt a lot when I first step out of bed in the morning. After walking around a bit and stretching the worst pain would ease. That why I got the splint. The one I got is made of a plastic material with velcro straps and neoprene padding. Its role is to keep your foot at an angle of 90 degrees of even less. It can be worn indoors during the day, but I found it is more effective to wear it during the night. It takes some time to get used to sleeping with it on. Eventually, the foot pain in the morning reduced and the pain subsided.

Another thing that helped me is massaging my foot with a ball while standing (using my own weight to adjust the pressure). I have used a tennis ball, a golf ball, and a small medical rubber ball with spikes.

Hope you are doing better by now or that this reply might help others who are struggling with plantar fasciitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.