I've had pinworms for 2 weeks I'm 13 years old and I'm to scared to tell my parents

Posted , 4 users are following.

2 weeks ago I went to the restroom and I seen something crawling in my underwear I kind of just ignored it at first and threw it away but they started to appear more so I searched what are these white worms I'm seeing and I've been reading about them I thought they went away once but they didn't and I'm to scared to tell my mom because she's gone through so much and my dads having another kid and I just don't know who to go too can someone please help me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Peyton.....these are very common so dont worry too much. Can you get to a chemist/pharmacy and look for the Pinworm medicines? You can also ask the pharmacist to advise you. Do you have a teacher at school that you could ask for advice?

Pinworms are easily passed on to other members of the family so your mom may be quite used to dealing with them before. She may even have had them herself. Do try to put your trust in her,or your Dad. I'm sure neither of them would want you to feel you couldnt ask them for advice.

Dont scratch and dont put your fingers in your mouth: that is often how they start in the first place. Do you have any pets? That may be where you have caught them. ideally everyone in the house should be treated at the same time and also any animals treated for worms. The treatment is usually in 2 stages,so that any worms/or eggs left after the first treatment are killed in the second. Your underwear should also be washed at a high temperature to kill any eggs.

Dont try treating yourself with dubious home remedies. There is no proven home remedy for pinworms

• Posted

Information I've read online says that the pinworms humans get infected with are different to the worms that animals get. So where did you get this information that you can get pinworms from animals? I believe it is incorrect. Pets get roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, and whipworms. Pinworms are different.

• Posted

Thanks for that Kathlynn. Always happy to be corrected

I was always told by my doctor that they could be picked up from rabbits but on reading further I see you are right. They can be transferred from human to human by a human transferring eggs to the animals fur and then another person stroking the same animal.

• Posted

No worries. I looked into it a little more and it does seem rabbits have a type of pinworm too, but they are specific to rabbits - they have a different scientific name to human pinworms. That's not very good that your doctor gave false information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.