I've had PNH for seven years and would like to know anyone has successfully used nerve ablation.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had shingles which has affected the right side of my head starting half way back and down to my eyebrow. It had some affect clouding the cornea of my fight eye. I'Ve tried everything hoping nerve ablation can give me hope. I live in NSW Australia.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Peter3527

Has anyone replied that has successfully used nerve block or ablation for PHN?  I have just suffered with it on my torso for 6 months now and do not look forward to suffering for years like some posters. Charlie, the DR. for one.

I am 80 years old and my dad [who had shingles in his 90's]  lived  to be 104

• Posted

Hi Peter

I had PRF Pulsed Radio Frequency, they don't destroy the nerve just stun it. I also have PHN on the right side of the head Right Occipital Nerve, spreads out and also affects the area down towards the neck. I had the treatment end of July and I was pain free until end October. Then it came back but slightly less. I've been back on meds since then, coping ok but now due to go for the second treatment in December. I'll go on doing this until it's no longer effective and then nerve ablation. I live in Thailand.

• Posted

Ron

My understanding is; if a nerve 'block' fails, so will the 'ablation'.  And if the 'block' is successful, an 'ablation' will be as well. So what is the 'rationale' for not getting an 'ablation' and say; "good riddance to bad rubbish " [pain] ASAP? What do you know that we don't?  And good luck to you and 'us'

'  

• Posted

Porkchops

I haven't heard that if 'block' fails so too will ablation, and I don't know any more than everybody else - we are all trying everything and that's what's going on in this blog. I'm answering Peter's question about looking for a cure. I had nerve block three times. The first injection worked and there was no pain for about 6 weeks. The second injection didn't work at all and the third worked for about 10 days. The neurologist said there may be more than one particular area of nerves that can be successfully anaesthetized. I think the needle might be hit-and-miss. So then I tried my first Pulsed Radio Frequency PRF, as I said in answering Peter, look it up in google, you can't put links in here - it's not ablation. I will go on trying the PRF treatments until they stop working too. Then same thing with ablation, although that may be a one off treatment as you suggest. After that they say there's surgery and other options.

• Posted

Ron [and Peter]

I have my second appointment with my pain management Neurologist tomorrow and intend to ask a lot of questions pertaining to Nerve Blocks and Ablation including the one mentioned, the 'success rate' etc.I wish we would get some feedback, posts, from our 'long time' fellow sufferers as to if they tried 'Blocks and Ablation' since suffering all those terrible years. I'll certainly pass along what I learn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.