I’ve had really bad wind/gassing/stomach bloating for some while

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had this problem for months & need to try to at least ease it.....a pretty

generalised summary I know, but am trying to keep things simple to start with.

If its reasonable to assume that there are lots of others with this problem, what

are the 'typical' causes, please?

I'm a 70 years old man.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi richard 89893

What is your diet like?..can you keep a food diary and see if the food you eat correlates with your symptoms....sometime the food we eat can cause gas and bloating such as veggies sprouts and cabbage...do you have acid reflux?

• Posted

Hullo Mary & thank you 😃

My diet ...... hmmmm. Aside from evening snacking on bread & butter, its generally good.

Tea and apples I've tagged as a couple of foods which seem to contribute. Have sterted to substitute by drinking hot water.

Banana x2 for brekkie, lunch is glutenfree bread sandwiches, ham & cucumber & 'butter'

Hot meal at night.........varied menu, but not often cabbage.

No acid reflux.

Food diary I need to try.

I am taking various medicines.

• Posted

Hi richard89853

Have you checked the Information Leaflets that came with your medications to see if any of the side effects are the culprits for your symptoms....

• Posted

Hi Richard

If you have had the same symptoms for a while I would suggest you try and get a referal for some investigation into whats going on.

Good luck!☺

• Posted

Have you had a colonoscopy? If you haven't it might not be a bad idea at your age.

• Posted

Hullo & thanks.

Until recently, I'd accepted tummy bloating (large, and as tight as a drum) as 'normal' and the result of my various medical conditions. To me it seems that food isn't passing through my digestive system as it should.

Are there any 'typical' medical conditions, these days, to which my description is familiar/ not unusual?

Then, 9 days' hospitalisation due to a heavy bleed from the small bowel. This provided 4 examination types; Colonoscopy, Endoscopy (stomach) & a separate Camera-Endoscopy (complete digestive-system) and CatScan. Nothing of clinical significance was found........to explain the bleed.

• Posted

Well it sounds like you have been fully examined. I don't know about a typical medical condition that would have caused the bleed that wouldn't show up in a scan. Obviously keep an eye on your symptoms, if anything is worrying you go back to your doctor. Look up low fodmap diet and see if there maybe something you are eating which could bloat you. Also you could try some anti bloating medication like deflatine or windeze. You could also ask your doctor about IBS medication. I don't know if you are on any medication at the moment which may cause the symptoms, you can check in the side effects.

• Posted

Really good of you to help, thanks.

In the short time I've been on here, it's helped a lot.

I'll check out your suggestions.

• Posted

hi Richard

In that case my apologies!! u obviously have had a lot going on, maybe it is the combination of your meds?? possibly your dr could look at that??

Also bread, try cutting that out for a while and snack on something else, say dried fruit, or yogurt.

A good probiotic can help with gut health too.

All the best.

• Posted

Apologies? Please.....there's no need as you've helped me joanna, thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.