I've had recurrent UTI's however all 3 tests have come back clear, what should I do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I first got a UTI in decemeber from having sex, and I had never had one before and as i go to university I never thought to get a doctor there and just to keep the one at home. I told my mates and they said to give it a week and it will go away by itself. I left it quite late but eventually got antibiotics for three days which was nitrofuratoin. Although i felt really ill on the antibiotics and it made me very tired i felt completely better after the three days however because I dreaded how ill the antibiotics made me feel because of the side effects I didn't want to be on it again. 6 days later I began to have UTI symptoms again so I went to an out of hours the next day they perscribed me with the same antibiotics the nitrofuratoin because it worked the first time. I became so upset all the time and thats where my health anxiety started to kick in. I couldn't sleep at all and as I was trying to rest I could feel my heart beating so fast and my hands shaking. I could feel burning in my chest and in my arms and so i rang the doctors a couple more times where he perscribed me with sleeping pills for four days. My anxiety was growing because I was thinking it could be recurrent UTIS and I had kidney stones a kidney infection or worse bladder cancer. It took me about three weeks to feel physically and mentally better however I managed to. Then I had another UTI after about three weeks so I had had three UTIs in two months however this one felt different. Rather than the pain when urinating this started with really bad cramps and abdominal pain in my stomach and back and a constant feeling of bloating and gas. I also had differentt bowel movements so I diagnosed myself with IBS. I could put this down to stress as it began to get alot worse as i was worrying about a UTI again and I know it affects the digestive system. I began to get so worried I called 111 who told me to call the doctor again the next morning. The doctor perscribed me with three days of trimethorprim which didn't seem to help and told me to take a urine sample which came back clear. This has been the third time my urine sample has come back clear so now i'm getting worried. With two of my UTIs i had small amounts of blood so now i'm worried it could be bladder cancer as an infection isnt showing up on the urine samples. I'm only 19 so its making me worry alot. I went to a&e when the trimethorprim didnt help and they did a blood test and urine sample which both came back fine and perscribed me with 7 days of co amoxiclav. I am still unsure of whether the UTI has fully gone as i still get the abdominal and back pain its like a random dull ache.I have been trying to get the doctor to do a ultrasound on my kidneys to make sure they were okay and to ease my anxiety as the wait makes me so anxious however he said I cant unless I have one sample that shows an infection. I've handed in another today however it will most likely come clear and I need this ultrasound to calm down as I'm constantly panicking that I have something seriously wrong with my kidneys. Has anyone else had an experience like this? How can I get an ultrasound done? Could this be my anxiety?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I feel like the doctor isn't taking me seriously and at first i thought maybe the anxiety is making me feel like i've got a UTI and its causing the abdominal pain however i had blood so i genuinely think they are them. I don't know what to do \

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.