I've had right flank pain for 8 moths had urine test with <50 gfr annow need a ct scan? Please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm very worried 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maybe you have a kidney stone or renal colic, scan will confirm. Did you have blood in your urine?? Try not to worry just yet.

My egrf 45 and have a scan tomorrow, but i dont have the pain just blood in urine (non visible)

Fingers crossed for both of us!

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jane

Many thanks for your reply. I have blood in my urgine, itchy skin, pain which is exhausting but waiting for ct in pure anticipation. I'm 42 year old women of 5ft3 and 13stobe so I know I'm overweight.

Good luck and thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi,

I think that you are having the correct tests for your symptoms.  You have not said your age, so eGFR on its own is not a good indicator.  ( It is expected that people in good health will have a 1% reduction in eGFR for every year of age over 40)  It is not unusual to have additional reductions due to infections, blockages and disease, so your eGFR of less than 50 is in itself not too worrying.  I had eGFR around 50% for years with no symptoms. Though I did have one episode of severe flank pain, no cause was found for this.  The positive aspect is that a possible problem has been identified before it is too serious and you are being properly checked. 

Good luck, KenR

• Posted

Hi Ken

Many thanks for your reply. I'm 42 female, 5.3 and 13 stone so I'm overweight I know. I have blood in my urgine and increased urination need. I'm always very itchy and often come out in hives so I'm just waiting in sheer anticipation and pain for the ct scan. 

Thanks again so much for replying  x

• Posted

Hi Fozzy,

I remember being in a similar situation!  The CT scan should determine if there is a physical cause which can be treated.  You may well though have to face up to doing a weight reduction.  When one realises that you must do this for health reasons it turns out to be not as difficult as you imagine.  I am in the process of trying to lose 25-30 lbs as my blood tests showed I was on the path to diabetes as well as kidney failure. Following a friend's example I just gave up all obvious carbs and sugars, - no bread , pasta, chips, cakes, sweets, anything with sugar in. No ready meals (too much salt) I replaced this with salads and vegetables, and some protein.  I fixed my eating plan to 16 hours (overnight) with nothing to eat but plenty water, and had my meals in the 8 daytime hours.  Apart from on the first couple of days I did not feel hungry, but if a snack is needed I take a few nuts or fruit. So that works for me! So far I am about 10 lbs down in 7 weeks.  I would never have managed on an 'eat less of everything' diet as it is too difficult to keep a check on things!

Good luck,

KenR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.