I've had severe anxiety for 2 weeks & am worried it is never going to end.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 48 and was on .5mg of Estriadol for 6 months which seemed to keep my hormones relatively level but about 3 weeks ago I started having extreme feelings of anxiety (obsessed with thoughts of mortality - mine, my parents, my children...strangers) to the point I am shaking & can't function.  My gyn increased the dosage to 1mg about 2 weeks ago but I am still having these attacks/feelings.  I went on the lowest dosage of Zoloft about 3 days ago and know it takes time to work but I am now panicked that I will never feel the same again.  

Does the anxiety fluctuate monthly?  Will some months be worse or hopefully better than others?  And, where in the cycle (which is hard to monitor since I had a hysterectomy) are the symptoms the worst?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsten, I can relate totally. I have had anxiety before but what I have experienced the last 6 weeks is so extreme and so scary. Not knowing if it would ever go away was so scary too. I quit my work and studies and have been at home everyday. The last week has been much better since I stopped all my activities and just rested everyday. I think with the extreme hormonal fluctuation during peri it is difficult to track the symptoms from my experience. Just knowing it is all hormonal and knowing it will eventually pass is my strength.
    • Posted

Thank you!  That is what I keep telling myself....due to hormonal issues in the past, the rational side of me knows it is hormonal, but the hormonal side of me feels it will never end.  Thanks again.
    • Posted

It will pass and in the meantime self care is a priority and it's a great time to " clean " up our lives, not just nutritionally but emotionally and spiritually. Make sure everything in our lives support our true selves and only say yes to the things that hounour us. Removing any thing that is not serving our true selves. x

• Posted

I used to have constant anxiety and panic.  It never went away until I stopped eating sugar completely.  And I mean COMPLETELY.  They only make one kind of breakfast cereal that does not contain sugar.  No sugar in my coffee.  I made my own bread so i could ensure that there was only enough sugar to get the yeast started.  I ate clean...no condimnents (they are full of sugar)  No salad dressings, and no fat free stuff either...more sugar.

Basicly I ate rice, meat, and vegetables of all kinds and was very careful about fruit if any.  i did eat wild berries.  I made oatmeal but added cinnamon and apples with no sugar.  I mean I cut it right out hard core and replaced it with protein.  This took it away almost completely.

After 9 months or so I started eating sweets the odd time...and anxiety levels came back...

Chamomile tea will help to some degree, but the best thing I have found to control it is a product called *Rescue Remedy*  You can google it and it is easy to find.  Try it.

Hormones do crazy things, and many people who have never had anxiety get it through their perimenopausal/menopausal years.

But try eating clean and cutting out all sugar...at least then you might figure that there is actually a food cause and avoid that food as much as you can.

You will get through it.  Just remember that what ever it tells your mind it is LYING!  Anxiety lies!

• Posted

Yes I totally agree with you Indifferent. I have done the same thing. 6 weeks ago I cut All sugars out. The sugar even though I had very little, using honey and eating pretty healthy and clean, was spiking my blood sugar and then anxiety would follow. It was awful. Now I am the simplest foods, protein in the morning only, vegetables, fish, oats, etc. and no honey either It has really helped and like you I tested the waters last night with a small flourless cake and bam this morning feel like I have a hangover!
    • Posted

I really appreciate this feedback as it isn't anything I ever even considered.  I will definitely clean up my diet as I am willing to try just about anything.  And, yes, completely practicing mind over matter as much as possible.  

• Posted

You will also find that you will lose all the extra pounds if you have any.  It really does spike the blood sugar.  And it hurts your liver too.  Unfortunately these days I have slipped back in with my sweet tooth a little more and I really have to get back on track!
  • Posted

Hi Kirsten, Im so sorry that you are feeling this way right now. I have felt the same way that you have. Did the doctor by chance check your vitamin D level? Mine was very low and so now I take raw vitamin D3. The biggest thing that I have found the helps is keeping your mind active. I walk every day, even if i dont feel like it. I also watch light comedy movies, pray and read daily devotionals. One thing that I heard was when our hormones start dropping the progesterone is one that is a calming hormone, so when it starts to change we get anxiety. You will get better. It just takes time. I will be praying for you! Take care
    • Posted

I really appreciate the input and I've wondered about the progesterone as well.  I am going to talk with my doctor about it during our appt. on Monday.  The lifestyle changes are ones I am working on as well.  I don't want the fear to take over the life I'm leading.  

• Posted

Hi Kirsten

I can relate to you. I had anxiety so bad where I would wake up with it. Just thinking about it does something to me. I find that progesterone cream and vitamin b12 spray in mouth by company called Sunrider.

This week I noticed it has tried to return so I started my progesterone and b12 spray again.

It may be something for you to consider or look on to. Dealing with peri has been trials and errors but we will get through this.

Hug

• Posted

I really do think the progesterone is what I'm missing.  I will definitely ask my doctor about that.  I know the answer is out there.  I just have to find it.  This site has really helped. 

• Posted

The same as you the last two weeks have experienced the same thoughts as yourself have had to take time of work very usual for me have not slept don't want to go out I am awaiting test results which are making things worse very I will take on bored some of the suggested tips about diet at present I seem to just been eating junk hope it gets better for you

• Posted

Hope you find answers that help you too. I think, just knowing other women experience these feelings helps to show it is hormonal. Hang in there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.