I've had severe heartburn every day for 3 years now. I can't take it anymore!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm really getting sick and tired of having constant severe heartburn every day, no matter what I eat. I have already been to a GI doctor, and he put me on omeprazole for a year with double strong dosage. It helped when I took it, but towards the end it stopped working (maybe my body built a resistance to it). I get that weight is one of many factors that contributes to heartburn/acid reflux, but I'm not overweight and I eat fairly well. I don't eat a lot of a particular food either. My diet is balanced with fruits and vegetables being the majority of what I eat and carbs in second place. I had an endoscopy in December 2017 and they found that everything was fine, except for a small irritated area towards the small intestine (they said it wouldn't cause any issues, and I took medication for it so it's fine now). I take liquid Gaviscon when I'm at home and have access to it, and Tums in school, but Gaviscon wears off very quickly and so do Tums. The heartburn is throughout the entire esophagus and my throat, sometimes coming up. It feels like I'm constantly drinking lava, every single day. I can't take it anymore. I don't want to be on pills my whole life, especially since omeprazole is known to cause weight gain (which i did notice over the past year). I've done exactly what my GI has told me to do, but nothing helps anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a dead end and I don't know how to handle it anymore.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get a second opinion ., I spoke to a doctor in another country not USA and he said due to protocols and insured governing the medical field , doctors failed to treat correctly , he even said , I cure you in one week not in 3 years .

Other thing I feel our food is terrible these days even if I eat super healthy . 

• Posted

Will you please share who that doctor was and which country he is from. Thank you

Frank

• Posted

Try natural remedies. Buy aloe vera gel and take 2 tbsp 15 mins before meal. Also, drink chamomile tea during your meal. Buy moringa powder and take it in the morning when you wake up and before bed.

• Posted

Hi

i have bouts of acid reflux that come and go but have yet to figure out the cause. 4 of the test I took confirmed I had no reflux but one showed extreme acid reflux with changes to the cells of my esophagus. Currently I have a disagreement to resolve between the gastroenterologist and a thoracic surgeon. 

I can tell you this, it’s very difficult to determine what behavior and foods cause my reflux but some of the foods that everyone recommends I don’t eat such as tomatoes in any form does not cause me reflux and some that shouldn’t does and then to add to the difficulty sometimes I’ll have reflux and other times I won’t. It’s crazy and very frustrating.

as for me i have researched all the surgery choices and for me I’m not interest in a Nissan fundaplication because one of the common side effects is not being able to vomit or burp and I’m after naustious and burb often which gives me relief. The surgical choice for me would be the Linx system, google it and educate yourself if your at your wits end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.