I've had Shingles fatigue for 3 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have trouble concentrating and feel exhausted all the time. Some days are better and some days are worse. Anyone have any advice?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sha, I didn't realize it's been 3 months. Do you have any pain, itching or burning? The fatigue could very well be part of the PHN. If you don't have the nerve damage which characterizes PHN with it's pain, my guess is that you will continue to improve. For suggestions, I'd say keep hydrated by drinking a lot more water than you think necessary, try not to over-load yourself and get plenty of rest. Have you talked to your doctor, as maybe there's something else going on.  Where was your shingles and what meds were you on then? How ill were you?

• Posted

Hi Sha2126...I replied to your PM. In the early stages when I had shingles all I was told was to rest rest and more rest. It resulted in me having PHN and was put on Tramadol, Gabapentin, Amitryptilline, Paracetamol....because of all the medication I slept a lot most of 2016 in fact. Then they took me of the Tramadol and the Gabapentin put me on Lyrica I didn’t do well after that. Then they found I had raised lymphocytes so all of last year they’ve been taking bloods every two months they’re monitoring me for CLL. If it should turn out that I have CLL that would account for all the infections I’ve been having shingles included. The fatigue the sweating the pain the depression it’s all taking it’s toll. Hopefully you’ll recover quite quickly and get back to your usual self in the meantime think the answer is rest don’t go against what your body is telling you you’ll only make it worse. X
    • Posted

I too replied to Sha's PM to me. I think you and I have crossed paths, I didn't realize they're checking for CLL, I hope it turns out to not be that. I had suggested to Sha that his/her physician be notified of this. The main symptom seems to be only fatigue, there's no other med use and it doesn't appear to be PHN (which both you and I have in common). I'm on Gab, so it's hard to tell which is causing my fatigue, the PHN or the Gab.

Have others had ONLY fatigue months later? Is this considered PHN? I don't think so as by it's definition N=Neuralgia=nerve pain, there has to be pain and/or itching (which or two sides of the same coin).

• Posted

Hi babs, I had and still do have fatigue from shingles about 3 years ago now. I don't think it's the same as PHN after all this time but does seem to affect lots of people who have had shingles. I still do have some itching at times around the spine area mostly and often when I get overheated as in summer. Shingles seems to affect all of us differently which is about right as we are all different, unique in fact. rolleyeswink I'm sure someone else will come on with their views. Happy new year to everyone. Poll xxx smile

• Posted

I’m not sleeping so much during the day as I was when I first started with shingles. I’m not on Gabapentin or Lyrica anymore. I’m only on 4 Tramadol 2 Amitryptilline and 8 paracetamol per day. My symptoms seem to come and go I’ll be okay for a couple of weeks managing to do a bit more, then out of the blue I’m so tired it’s more like exhaustion than being tired. You know I’m looking at my words I’m writing and they don’t seem right ...🤔 I’m 70 I don’t know the ages of others so I am presuming that older people with shingles find it harder to get over. I saw someone on this site mention about her lymphocyte levels being low I think it was. Mines are raised so I’m wondering is it that our immune systems are compromised in some way that we are having these infections and they’re lingering around longer than they should...us being tired is our bodies way of saying you need to rest. It’s not always easy to rest when there’s things needing done though especially at this time of year. But now that the festivities are all over we can see to ourselves again and rest if need be 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.