I've had stomach pain and diarrhoea for 4 weeks,what could it be?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with violent diarrhoea and stomach pains for the past 4 weeks, where I have been going to the toilet around 8 times a day, without a lot of warning to get to the toilet! I've had blood tests that are normal and stool test that confirmed that it wasn't food poisoning or gastroenteritis. Initially, the Drs thought I had a stomach ulcer as I had passed black stools, however I haven't had any instances since and now they are unsure of the cause. I've been advised to go on a gluten free diet in case I'm coeliac, however I've been doing this for over a week and I've had no improvement. I'm awaiting an ultrasound to see what's going on in there but I'm getting frustrated that I have had no improvement so far. Anyone had a similar issue or any ideas? I feel so poorly and fed up.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just to mention, I've also had a few episodes of green vomiting and I'm currently taking 900mg gabapentin daily for chronic headaches and also on 50mg sertraline for depression.
    • Posted

natural healing is the best, w/ out drugs to to take and eat lots of fruits and drink lots of water. I recommend reflexology its more on energy and detox your body.
  • Posted

do a full reflexology especially in the stomach area and eat bananas and ripe guavas. it helps a lot on your problem.....
  • Posted

Keep a food diary to check for intolerances. While you are off gluten, you may need to wait more than a week for all the gluten to get out of your system .

Ask for a celiac blood test and an endoscopy so that a stomach biopsy can be taken.  However, before these tests you will need to go back on gluten otherwise the test will show a false negative.  Also ask for a colonoscopy an get tested for parasites and h pylori.

Ask about IBS which can cause these symptoms.  Does your pain improve after your bowel movements, does It move around your stomach or is it all in the one place and does it come and go?  Do you have incomplete evacuation of your bowels?  If all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.

I have IBS and have constant dull stomach pain which moves around and changes in type and intensity.  I have had constipation and loose, frequent stools with nausea.  Sometimes I have bad flare ups.  It took me three and a half monrhs and eight visits to different doctors to get an IBS diagnosis.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, you have given me a lot to think about. My pain does come and go but is generally in the same place each time and does not improve after going to the toilet.

I've had a celiac blood test and I'm awaiting the results. No one seems very bothered and I'm getting very annoyed even though they are requesting things as urgent, there is no urgency for anything!!!

If this turns out to be IBS, what things do you do to ease your symptoms?

• Posted

ibs irritable bowel syndrome- the muscles in your stomach are stiff., that's why you feel stomach pain. There's a pressure points in your feet in stomach area to relax or to soften the muscle by means of energy that's Reflexology... a natural healing.....
    • Posted

I take Buscopan and Nurofen if the pain is bad. Exercise and eating more fruit helps me with constipation.  Fortunately, I  can largely ignore the pain because it is usually dull and mild.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.