I've had tinnutis for several years, now i have started getting a second different noise.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had tinnitus for several years, & most of the time I cope fairly well with it.

The night before last I was woken by a loud noise, I checked to see if it had woken my husband, but he was fast asleep. I also checked my clock radio to see if it turned on. I then got up & went to the bathroom, but the noise was still there. It was constant ( on top of my usual noise ) A high pitched sound with a beat which repeated every few seconds.

It lasted about 30mins then I dropped off to sleep again.

Last night the same thing happened again.

Has anyone else had this happen to them ?

I can't bear the thought of having two seperate noises to contend with.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sounds like pulsatile tinnitus. The every-two-second beat you hear is your pulse. Pulsatile tinnitus usually is caused by unusual stress, high salt intake and allergies. Do any of these sound familiar to you? If so you might want to try to better manage the cause. If you need recommendations let me know. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I have a very low salt intake, so not that, apart from Rhinitis, no allergies. When it comes to stress, we are all under stress at the moment aren't we. maybe that's it.

I've never been to a tinnitus clinic as I went to every one of my mums appointments & all they could offer her was a white noise machine. But maybe it's time I asked for a referral.

• Posted

Hi Jean. Your Rhinitis could definitely be the cause of your tinnitus....especially this time of year. How are you managing your Rhinitis? My suggestions are the following:

1. use an over the counter nasal flush twice/day (morning and night). I use Neil Med Sinus Rinse. It's a powder mixture that you add to DISTILLED water in the bottle that the kit comes with....very very simple.
      2. immediately after flushing your sinus gently blow out any remaining fluid from the flush and then use a good antihistamine nasal SPRAY (do not use oral antihistamines). I use Azelastine HCI...this is a prescription med. There are good OTC nasal spray antihistamines that should be effective.
      3. do the above regimen EVERY day

You should notice improvement within a week or so. If by chance this does not work for you let me know....I have other ideas that might help. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Hi, I am being treated at the ENT clinic for my Rhinitis. I've been prescribed Rinatec nasal spray. It has helped but not cured & now the hay fever season is in full swing i'm practically back to sqare one. I did have a follow up appointment, but of course that has been cancelled.

• Posted

The Orchestra of the Devil. I've suffered from tinnitus (and hyperacusis and occasionally tensor tympani syndrome) for 31 years. Last time I counted it was 13 different tinnitus sounds. Unfortunately, they don't play in tune. My best advice to you Jean might sound foolish - at least I thought so decades ago: "don't listen to the sound". See tinnitus as a warning signal, like pain. When there's no need for the auditory system to remind you of danger, the sound will lower it's presence hopefully. It's said every other kind of pain works that way. Have to be confirmed though, but that's what I've heard. Jean, do you have moments of silence, or almost silence? If so, there's no reason why these moments can't be extended by natural healing or end of warning signalling.

/Ken, Sweden

• Posted

Hi there,

I have just started having the pulsating, heart beat sounds in my right ear for about the last week or so. Started searching online and came upon the pulsatile tinnitus and that describes it exactly. I have always had an occasional low pitch alarm going off sound for a few seconds but this thumping sound harder to bear. Brings up more anxiety especially at the current time. i don't want to go into the doctor's office. i do have allergies and I get allergy shots monthly but since the office is only taking patients every 4 weeks right now I have had to wait. Definitely stressed to the max. i think we all are. I will try the Neilmed. I have some of that luckily. it makes me stuffed up in the past so I have not used it an a long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.