I’ve hit puberty but no testicle or penis growth. What do I do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok, so I am currently 16 and started to grow pubes at 14/15. Up until recently that’s the only changed I’ve noticed. Earlier this year I started to grow pretty tall and I think this was my growth spurt as I went from 5’10” to about 6’1 or 6,2”. I have also started to notice more hairs on my torso, legs, arms and face. However, my testicles and penis have not grown one bit. Any advice/help? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Normally testicle growth is the first sign puberty has started. It will be the first obvious sign before you get the body hair growth, voice breaking and muscle development.

The growth spurt is a separate process from puberty, regulated by growth hormone. It is the high level of testosterone seen at puberty that is supposed to stop the growth spurt when you reach your correct height. 

95% of your testosterone normally comes from the testes. If they have not grown they might not be producing enough testosterone. You have a small amount of testosterone produced by the adrenal glands. 

If you have had no growth in either the penis or testicles I would ask your doctor to examine you and to check your hormone levels. Testosterone would be the key hormone to test for. In addition, ask to check the pituitary hormones. LH, FSH and prolactin. This will help to see if puberty has really started. Puberty can start at 17 for about 5% of boys so there is still time for you to get full development.

Do you have a normal sense of smell ?

• Posted

Yes, my sense of smell is normal. Is there any chance that they may grow soon as I’m not that hairy right now.

• Posted

I can understand why you are keen to get things developing. I was in the same position as you at your age.

Since you are under 17 you are still just within the normal age of puberty to start, but only just. I appreciate it is not easy being the only one of your friends not started but there is every chance you will start before you are 17. 

If you see your doctor and ask if they can check your hormone levels, especially the ones I mentioned previously they should be able to reassure you that all is well. Sometimes the doctor will offer you a couple of testosterone shots just to speed up the process and help kick-start normal puberty. Even if you do start a bit later than everybody else you will catch up on development. 

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply. 

It is weird as I have seen my voice drop as lots of people started telling me that my voice had gotten deeper. I haven't grown at all recently so I'm pretty sure I have stopped my growth spurt. My testicles and penis still look childlike. I have noticed more and more hair, not loads, but a certain increase over the past few days. I put lotion on my foreskin as well as it gets dry quite quickly. Would this have anything to do with it?

• Posted

Also, are hormone levels gene related as I'm pretty sure one of my brothers had penis growth at my age.

• Posted

The age puberty starts is thought to have a genetic link, so that male siblings will normally go through puberty at a similar age. Though they could have different levels of development. 

You will need to see your doctor who can assess what stage of puberty you are at. You might have totally normal testosterone levels and puberty is still going on. They will need to check your testosterone levels as well as FSH. LH and prolactin levels to see what stage you are at. Normally the testicles grow first but there can be a wide variation in size.

The size of the testicles does not relate directly to the amount of testosterone and sperm you can produce. 

Normally puberty is marked by a massive increase in testosterone levels which will be seen in a sharp increase in sex drive. 

I think it would be helpful to you to know your hormone levels and for the doctor to be able to give you some reassurance. 

• Posted

Ok so bit of an update. I am still growing more hair on my thighs and on my face. I have also noticed more spots but still nothing with the penis and testes. There’s no way they have grown because they don’t look like and  adults testicles or penis. Do you think it will kick in later? Can I make an appointment by myself and go without parents? 
    • Posted

Hi Ben! From what country are you from? Are you circumsized? In our country, circumsition is part of puberty for boys and usually it helps your growth.

• Edited

Hey ben, was just wondering what happened in the end? Did your testicles and penis finally grow and develop? I am experiencing similar symptoms so wondering how it will turn out for me

• Posted

hey so its been a while since this thread got any responses but hoping this one does but i am also experiencing similar symptoms im about to turn 17

• Posted

hey i have the same symptoms and was wondering if you ever got it fixed im about to turn 17 and getting worried

• Edited

has anything changed for you? been having the same things as you and i am 16.5 years old and worried

• Posted

its been a year since you posted this and had anything changed for you. i have the same symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.