I've just been diagnosed with Diverticular Disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi last week I was diagnosed with diverticular disease following a Colonosopy. I'm in constant abdominal pain including diahhoria. I know nothing about the disease at the moment. Just searching the web. Also my skin is so sore to touch! I'm on antibiotics and pain killers which have taken the edge off but not totally pain free. Any information you can give me would be so helpful. Thank you Sandra

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you will need to be careful of what you eat and avoid foods that contain pips or seeds, such as berry fruits, seeded bread etc. Also avoid eating skins, hence avoid grapes, tomatoes (unless skinned and deseeded), potato jackets and do on. Avoid nuts too. You don't want anything which can get trapped in the little pouches and fester.

When you are having a flare up you need to rest your colon by not giving it too much you do, so stick with plain foods without too much fibre and soups for a few days and then build back up to normal.

Try Fybogel (UK brand name, it's different in US) once or twice per day, it's gentle fibre and helps shape your poo (Sorry!). I get it on prescription but you can get it over the counter.

Don't be alarmed if the pain continues after the antibiotics. I think the bugs will have been killed, however your gut will still be sore, and the good bacteria will need time to restore back to balance. Some people take prebiotic for this which you can get in good health shops. I can't advise further on that. Some also take aloe vera juice, which I gave tried, but not kept up with. I might try it again next time I have problems ( any port in a storm). Good luck and don't despair.

• Posted

Hi Alexandra

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful information. A lot to think about and so much to learn. I love jacket potato skins lol. Never mind. Need to put diet into action. Don't want to live with this pain indefinitely. Thank you again Sandra

• Posted

Just for info, there is alot of conflicting advice re pips etc. The current thinking seems to be that they don't cause flare ups.

• Posted

Hi,

Have you got diverticulitis? Diverticular disease is if have no inflamtion or infection but have symptoms such as obdomen pain, cramps, constipation or diarrhoea and diverticulitis is when a pocket or several pockets are inflamed or infected.

• Posted

I've got diverticular disease. Awaiting results from colonoscopy. But like you say symptoms I've got is severe abdominal pain and trots (sorry) so diverticulitis is a flare up. This is what the Dr suspects is happening. Thank you.

• Posted

Rest, liquid diet for several days then low residue diet for a few weeks. I was told by one doctor that I could eat normally after I was done the 10 days of antibiotics but that did not work for me it was too soon so back on low fiber.  I was just advised by my PCP to not take Metamucil as some advised to" keep things moving" because the colon is too sensitive to handle the fiber for a while and she was right. I'm at 4 weeks after my first episode of Diverticulitis and feeling better but not 100%. Have patience and listen to your doctor. I've noticed a lot of people self-diagnosing and medicating. Dangerous! I am also having a follow-up CT scan tomorrow  and a colonoscopy end of march, all per doctors orders.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Thank you so much for your advise. Much appreciated and makes sense. Yes my doctor is helping me. I'm never pain free though. Awaiting on colonoscopy report at the moment.

Good luck tomorrow for your scan. Hope all goes well for you. Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi, I also was confirmed with DD after colonosopy (which for me was very painful even with sedation). I think I was suffering for a good few years without being aware of what was causing all my problems . I have pain most nights now which wakes me and was prescribed Codeine and when flare up Tramadol. Both help (not a lot) but they also cause problems as they space me out and also cause severe constipation (prescribed lactose for this) . Due to the constant constant abdominal pain and severe bouts of uncontollable diahhoria sessions , I had to retire early from my job , which has put alot of financial pressure on us as I was the main earner however it was impossible to continue and the Consultant did state that stress can play a big part in this disease. I know the day to day problems with DD arent life threatening however they are life changing and the diahhoria problem is not one you wish to discuss, it has been very embarrassing for me when you end up in supermarket loos trying to clean yourself up and your first thoughts when going anywhere is knowing where the loos are . It is something you have to be aware of due to infections and possible abcess which may occur and burst and then cause life threatening problems.  

I havent found any particular foods that trigger problems except alcohol and my 2nd consultant said that some people will not have trigger foods and i think i may be one of those. I have now been discharged from my consultant as he said that there is very little they can do and it is just a case of living with it . Surgury has never been mentioned and to be honest I dont think I would like that as I would be terrified of it going wrong. 

I have nausea every morning and dont tend to eat anything until early afternoon , 

I wish you all the very best with this and hope they find something which can reduce your symptoms . Good luck x

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I do know someone who had the surgery and is perfectly fine now. It is done laparoscopicly now and minimally invasive.It is a quality of life issue and worth the taking the chance I think. I'm nauseaus in the moring also but it clears up as soon I eat.

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I was the same colonoscopy painful with sedation also took biopsys left and right. Awaiting results now. I'm taking tramadol for pain which is now helping as I have severe pain in my tummy and all round lumber region of my back. It's a nightmare. Dr gave me codene which made me constipated which is bad for DD. Take movicol sachets. I'm like you always needing toilet. Have to plan your day around it which is difficult. I'm so sorry it's affecting your job as DD is life changing. But health comes first to me. I start with sickness feeling in a morning too. But I've started with the no pips potatoe skins etc diet which people have advised me to do. I will do anything to help stop the pain.

As for toilet problems when out shopping etc. I keep a packet of wipes in my handbag and air freshener lol (what a subject) but it's true.

I hope things work out for you. We are all learning at this stage as it won't go away. You take care Caroline. We are here anytime x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.