I've just been diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder - HELP!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - I've just found this forum after Googling about Frozen Shoulder so hope this is active with lovely people who can offer advice.

I've been getting pain from my shoulder since the Spring this year - no trauma - no injury - just unexplained on-set of pain. Initially I thought it was posture related as work at a desk all day.

I initially went to GP for advise who referred me to NHS physio.

I've been experiencing gradually more pain and less movement to the point now where the lack of movement is really impacting my life. I can't wear a bra, can barely reach to wash my hair and getting dressed or undressed is exhausting. Any sudden movement - even the slightest knock on my affected arm or shoulder is enough to send me yelping to the ceiling 😦

I had a cortisteroid injection approx 8 weeks ago - but that made my pain much much worse. I had an MRI scan 2 weeks ago - but still waiting to hear results of that.

In my desperation I went to a private physio this week - who diagnosed me with frozen shoulder - hearing that this can take up to 2 years to heal was depressing news indeed.

I'm struggling to work out at the moment how much to push myself with exercises. I have purchased a shoulder pulley on Physio's recommendation but even the smallest stretch is incredibly painful so it seems a bit pointless at the moment. Physio told me I could do no more damage to my shoulder and although exercise may ache (understatement!!!) it wont do any harm. I've read conflicting advice on this and wondered if anyone can offer advice here?

Also - how have all you managed the pain?? I'm on Naproxen at the moment and it seems like it's doing very little for me. I've heard others using codeine but I'm not keen on that if this is really going to take 2 years - I can't be taking codeine for that long!!! Private physio has recommended a 2nd cortisteroid - but after the first one I'm very very nervous about doing that again as it caused (or seemed to) so much extra pain for me last time.

Would love to hear any positive stories or advice form others who have experienced this dreadful condition.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I got it in both shoulders! Physical therapy didn't help very much, nor did cortizone. What finally worked, was lots of walking at a good speed, up and down hills! I'm no doctor but I've heard that can help, probably because you improve your fitness level and blood circulation to the shoulders. Moving the arms while walking probably helps too. The problems just slowly melted away, with each day better than the one before. Little things I had terrible problems doing, like drying myself off after a shower, became easier and easier. If your health allows it, you'll want to exert yourself when you walk. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi kurt34864,

How long did it take for your shoulders to return to normal ? I have a frozen left shoulder and Im exoeriencing extreme pain atm and want to try to speed up the healing process witbout medication , walking would be perfect for me, altho the lack of sleep is making me very tired but im willing to try anything .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.