I've just been diagnosed with gall stones, so scared about what to and what not to eat??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice from anyone in the same situation. I've just been diagnosed with gall stones. I am having a magnetic scan done on the 10th may, I have recently ended up in hospital with jaundice, and dehydration and a gall bladder infection. I'm home now and am basically living on fresh fruit, dried breakfast cereal, boiled chicken, and rice, sweet potato and steamed veg, with occasional dry biscuits. My gall bladder seems to be happy with this, I only drink water now too. No dairy foods at all!.. I'm over weight but the weight is coming off quite quickly which has its pros and cons. I keep beating myself up for allowing myself to get so big and I was eating all the wrong things.... I'm just so scared to eat anything else now, I live in fear of vomitting again, I was so sick I couldn't even keep water down. Please give me as much advice as possible as I'm a wreck at the moment. I'm stressing about the op too! Xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear of your GB issues. I've had troubles for 6 months maybe longer looking back and got gallstones. It has been difficult finding anything I could eat - like you down to vertain things mainly. You would have been told to avoid fat, probably also pork, eggs, chocolate, oranges and whatever sets your GB attack off. There is no one diet as I've learned from this, everyone seems different in what they can and cannot eat. I'm Ok with tea and smooth bland food. I have nutirional drinks when I can't eat to ensure nutrients and smoothies to which I add super green powder from the health shop as many fruits and veg are no no now, except bananas (which I never liked much before!). I make veggie soups so can control the ingredients. Apple juice is recommended for gallstones and seems good - you can add a little cider vinegar if that helps, it did not do a lot for me so have apple and ginger juice now. I take a vitamin and mineral liquid and other supplements as I'm low in vit D and probably other things sue to being ill and not eating well. But don't beat yourself up for not eating well in the past - I always ate very healthy and still got this condition and some other conditions as well. A good diet helps our health but there are other factors that affect us.

My surgery was today but got cancelled due to junior doctors being on strike, so I've no idea when it will be now. Been in limbo 6 months and am also very scared of it all, but living like this is tough, everything is on hold. It is a horrible condition to have. Have u had a test for gluten/ celiac as this often associates with gallbladder diseases? Mine came back negative but avoiding gluten to see if it helps anyway. Hope you soon get some treatment and relief from symptoms x

• Posted

Hi, Ali, please don't beat yourself up!  We've all been there, one way or the other.  I think the point is to move on and do better.  You're already doing that!  Your diet sounds like a good one. I would also suggest that you might be able to drink tea, in addition to water.  I was able to take small amounts of low fat, lactose free milk,  lean pork and lean beef, too.  Also, small, frequent meals, not three meals a day.  But that might not work for you. It's important to know that everyone is different.   Foods affect each person differently.  If you can get some exercise, like walking, that helps. Good luck, and let us know how you do!  
  • Posted

Sounds like you are doing the right things! I had mine out last month, and am still adjusting. Don't get yourself too worked up, if you keep having atracks, you should get it out ASAP. You don't want to get an infection, but if you can wait, and you feel better, ride it out. Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

Hi I had my gallbladder removed in Jan this year, even after the op I was struggling with fatigue and bowel problems now I cant eat anything too greasy and to be honest dont want to. My advice would be just a low fat diet, Im no expert but this has really helped me . I had an infection and was taken to hospital  a few days before xmas feeling really poorly and although the op was painfull I feel better now than I have in years, If you need the op then have it the side affects are no worse than the pain and in the long run a healthier diet can only be good for your health overall   Good Luck and hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I was told to stick to less than 3% fat diet. That's it. No other restrictions although that's restrictive enough tbh. I've been waiting 6 months also and have so far, touch wood, avoided any "serious attack" or infection. I am prescribed Buscopan which is marvelous for the stitch pain when I get it, usually in the evening. Hope that helps.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your gallbladder problems I had mine out 2 years ago and still can't eat certain foods but I found dry foods were best and staying away from red meats especially bolognase and beef burgers really set me off! Pasta and soup and fish are very good normally! Some foods just seem to be too rich

Hope it all gets sorted soon X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.