I've just been diagnosed with Ovarian Cyst (on my right) I'm new to this and scared... please help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I woke up this morning with horrible diarrhea, and a sharp stabbing pain on my right side!! I webMD the symptoms and thought my appendix was in trouble or maybe it was a kidney stone?! (Since in my past I've passed 2 stones and I still have a kidney stone stuck in my kidney wall!!) I'm 29 years old and started getting bladder infections at a very young age sad anyways, I went straight to the ER this morning and they did CT scan, an ultrasound for my pelvis (which I had no idea what that was 😱wink tests came back I had a cyst on my right ovary, and a bacteria infection! They gave me  Flagyl, hydrocodone, and zofran to take home. I'm new to this and have no idea what is going on with me... I called my doctor (he) and he told the nurse that I shouldn't worry about it it's small... but I'm still worried he also stated the bacterial infection (BV) was the cause for the sharp stabbing pain on my right side. At the ER the doctor their told me that there was fluid surrounding something ( I was kinda out of it) and the Pain was caused from the cyst, but would hopefully subside. I feel like my Doctor (I have a male doctor, not that it matters too much but the ER doc was female) he doesn't seem concerned at all with the cyst. I'm confused and scared.. this site is amazing and this is my first post. Please help! and thank you for reading! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First of all, don't panic. Lots of people have ovarian cysts, in fact we all have one or more each month, then it bursts and releases the egg, that's when you ovulate. Sometimes the cyst doesn't burst and can grow a bit a burst later. I had a fluid filled cyst, they said I could have had it for years. It was called a simple cyst, and was filled with fluid. When it started to grow I had it removed and am fine now. But if they get bigger and burst, they can cause a lot of pain. BV is bacterial vaginitis, it should clear up pretty quickly now you are on meds.

if your dr was worried he would have referred you on for further treatment. But at your age, it's probably just a simple cyst and will go away on its own.

• Posted

Thank you so much! This helps put my worrying mind at ease! It's just really scary when you first hear them diagnose you. Thank you for the reply! I'm still feeling the pain.... should I worry if it continues?  

• Posted

If the pain is bad and continues, go back and see your dr. Take a list of questions you want to ask, it's easy to forget things when you're worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.