I've just been prescribed Nortriptylin to reduce my migraines. How bad are the side effects.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had chronic or acute migraines for 25 years. For the past 4 years they have increased to about 20 a month. Previously, I took Topamax and had horrible side effects. The worst one was memory loss. I also had botox injections (a seies of 3). Botox also gave me serious side effects. I had trouble swallowing, stiff neck and cold running through my back! Now, I am afraid of taking any other preventative medicine. I use Relpax Nd zomig spray. Zomig works fast. Relpax doesn't always work. Please help. Also, did anyone have weight gain or loss with this drug?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am taking nortriptelene 30 mg a night the only side affect i got is being vacant and as if im not in my body im taking them for chronic dizziness hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

Hi Bert, 

Im so sorry you didn't have much success with the Botox .I haven't tried the drug your on at the moment but I understand what side effects can do especially if you have a sensitive stomach .Use the web medical sites as much as possible not the drug makers sites.Chart your side effects and grade them as to how much they incapacitate you or make you feel worse than before.Record daily.If you have swelling or rashes or violent sickness get back to your neurologist ASAP.I have difficulty with swallowing on Botox but it has helped dull the pain of HM not the hemeplegia.I now drink water with everything and a more liquid diet .I can even choke on a lettuce leaf!

but those symptoms don't last over a month so I stick with Botox for now.

I do get the stiff neck and muscle pain on the shoulders but have found a friend who massages gently my muscles especially my back,Have you found your gait (how you walk and hold yourself) has been affected?

I lean to the left now , my memory has been and still is being affected.The family makes a joke of it like the game charades or what's my line .Its frustrating but I laugh now at myself instead of getting angry I want to help the docs sort this out.Have you tried Flunarazine yet? It helped me on small doses but had side effects on larger doses.But it did help .All the best with your new meds if it's not right don't give up there are others.I did have a break from drugs for a short while being observed and ok'd by the docs,

just to rid my body of the toxins but my migraines came back tougher.

Keep fighting Bert.Dont give up . They are even researching cannabis now as an aid for relieving pain ! Here come the 60's and 70's again I hope they can find a better healthier pain reliever .Meanwhile keep your own charts and notes.Take back some control .You have friends here. Yvonne

• Posted

Thank you Yvonne. I did have a hard time with the stiiff neck after Botox but it didn't really affect my walking. I just had a hard time bending my head. I decided not to take the Nortriptylin that I was prescribed because of the horrible side effects people have described. I had the worst side effects with Topamax . I don't know if I will ever recover my memory loss! I'm sticking with Zom8g for now for instant relief. It does work for me. I just wish I wouldn't have an average of 29 headaches a week!
  • Posted

HI Bert,

I can understand your reluctance , when I had Topiramax I was completly

I'll, totally drained, drugged and still having attacks at that time every day.

It was a terrible drug for me I honestly think I was dismissed to early from the John Radcliffe ..I will never forget how dismissive the lady neurologist was to my family when it was very obvious I couldn't walk straight, speak properly, go up or down stairs without aid , or look aftermyaelf at all.

It took me three years of personal determination and research together with a Welsh neurologist and helpful doctor to find the UCL and Mr Goadsby in London.Now I'm seeing Dr Shanahan.there and feel I can totally trust him.That makes a huge difference .I hope others on the site can help you about the drugs you mentioned.You know yourself what is acceptable to your body and what's not.Not many drugs have no side effects but if they really make you feel worse or have no effect  make notes and a diary and go back to the docs or consultant if possible.lIke you I don't know if my memory will come back fully little flashes of events or information occassionally come back, but with each attack my short term memory is being more affected.I now need a medical box for my meds because after an attack I can't remember if I took the am or pm drugs as prescribed.

But I'm determined to beat this when family talk about events we've shared fairly recently and I can't remember them at all it becomes abit of a joke and I laugh it off with them .mAybe my brain doesn't need certain stuff anyway.

Our brains must get cluttered just like our houses and lofts .Good luck with your meds and keep in touch .Yvonne

• Posted

Hi Yvonne,

I'm glad you found a doctor that you can trust. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.