I've just stopped taking zopiclone after taking it for ten years

Posted , 4 users are following.

What can help me to sleep been up all night please advice

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That's a difficult one to give advice on as I have difficulty sleeping too. I used to take a Zopiclone quite a bit (I actually was addicted) and afterwards I had sleeping issues too (rebound insomnia I believe it's called) this is mostly withdrawals and it will take sometime for your body to become accustomed to the sudden switch after such a long period of taking Zopiclone. Have you tried melatonin or silenor? These are non addictive medications that help with sleep. Also did your doctor slowly wean you off of Zopiclone? Quitting Coke turkey can make the withdrawals so much worse. If you don't have access to medications right now and you're just laying in bed stressing out about not being able to sleep, then get up, walk around your house, do something unstimulating like reading a book or taking a bath. Try laying down on your couch and watching something boring, like the news (unless you like that). Maybe have a glass of wine haha! Good luck!!
    • Posted

You are so right, my doctor reduced my zopiclone on a reduction plan, I couldn't do it so I bought on line can't get them now for some reason, just moved aswell trying to sort doctors out, hoping they will start me again on the plan, I'm strugling and don't feel myself, don't no what to do to be honest, my emotions are all over the place nightmere to be honest , thanks for replying to me
    • Posted

I totally understand what you're going through but don't worry you will get through this, these things don't last! The thin about melatonin is you don't need a prescription! You can get it basically anywhere and you can take pretty much as many as you want without ever overdosing if you don't feel like they are strong enough (I usually take about 10)! Also, silenor is an anti histamine that pretty much any doctor will prescribe to you (I got a free sample from a walk in clinic).
    • Posted

I dont think it is a good idea to suggest taking another drug of whatever kind and adding it to the mix.

So you are taking 10 and then how long before you become tolerant and need to take more than 10.

I am off to sleep naturally. if i get 4 hours so be it. But I wont take

any form of drug to help me sleep that is for sure.

• Posted

Yeah I take 10 but melatonin is a naturally occurring substance in the brain. It isn't a depressant or anything, it just helps to set your circadian rhythm on track. It's impossible to overdose and even little kids are allowed to take it. It's also over the counter and approved for long term use with virtually no side effects. The only problem I ever had from it was very lucid dreams after 3 days: freaky haha! If you won't take any other medication then you can google things to do to help with sleep but since it's withdrawals from Zopiclone it's going to take some getting used too! Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi dee wnt the doc give you anything else to help I cnt understand how u can sleep naturally after 10 years of help. Iv only been on them a few months & I cnt sleep either.som1 mentioned menoline I think it was called natural sleep aid from a health store. I hope you get sorted ..
    • Posted

I can't sleep Sharon only had about 5 hours in 4 days, I've moved and trying to sort new doctors out, I've run out, my old doctors reduced them by a lot so I bought on line, they for some reason have stopped and now I can't get them, nightmere to be honest , 
  • Posted

I really do hope that you have not just stopped taking them.

You need to taper off them slowly.

• Posted

I have no choice at min, moved and sorting out new doctors and I have run out, I no I'm stupid but I bought them on line because my doctor reduced them to much, but now for some reason I can't get them from on line now they have stopped, been without now for 4 days and I feel awful, don't no what to do to be honest it's a nightmere for me 
    • Posted

Have you tried Benedryl or a similar sedating antihistamine?  The only real cure is to get back on the stuff and then taper off slowly.  The z-drugs cause the body to push back against them by making modifications that stick around when you stop taking the drug; these modifications cause rebound insomnia, and the only thing that will fix that is the drug itself or time, time for the nervous system to modify back, but that can take a good while and a lot of sleepless nights.
  • Posted

No matter what drug one takes you will become tolerant in time to come.

Adding another drug/ medicine to the mix right now is really not  advisable.

I know what it is like to have no sleep. Hence I also ended on sleeping pills and became tolerant.

Insomnia can also be due to lack of Vitamin D daft as it may sound.

Also for us women the menopause can cause insomnia.

I would advise to get ones Vit D level checked.

My sleep is getting better. Whether this is due to Vit d tablets I really dont know.

You need to decide what is best for you and stick to it.

All the best .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.