I've lost around two thirds of the volume of my hair ove...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've lost around two thirds of the volume of my hair over the last 3-4 years - so I'm guessing I've got chronic TE.

Previously if I mentioned I was losing hair at an alarming rate - people would say I was imagining it. I used to have fine hair but absolutely loads of it - hairdressers would comment. So perhaps others couldn't tell.

Now though - it is quite obvious my hair has so little volume.

Reading on the web that there is no treatment - I haven't sought medical advice.

I wonder though - if there is a chance I'm not going to get any regrowth for the 70 odd % loss I appear to have. This is quite depressing and stressfull which probably means the TE will continue - it's a vicious circle.

[i:c0256fbed6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c0256fbed6]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've lost about 1/2 my original hair thickness in the space of about 2 weeks. I'm 21 - so this came as a bit of a shock. I'm quite sure I have TE as 2 months ago I had a very stressful/traumatic period and the timing makes sense. I'm still going to see the doctor though, just to rule out iron deficiency.

I would still urge you to go and see a doctor - you never know, it may be linked to hormones or a mineral deficiency! I wish you all the best in any case.

• Posted

I've also lost more than half the volume of my hair slowly over the past 4 years. Used to have gloriously long, thick hair, now I see more scalp than anything. It's so distressing.

I did have a very stressful time about then, so maybe that caused it, I don't know.

All blood tests have returned normal. My GP hasn't mentioned TE, but I'm guessing it could be that.

D, morrigana, how are you both getting on now?

• Posted

I’m a guy, I’m 24. I’ve had a sh*tty time over the past year stressing about my career. In early July I split up with my girlfriend of 5 yrs. However over the summer my hair was in great condition and thick (I’ve always had a sort of mid-length Indy kid-ish hair cut). I had receded slightly at my temples but it really was’nt anything and not an issue at all.

In late September I came back from a short holiday and started noticing a bit of hair falling out when I ran my hands through my hair, more then I would usually. I just figured it'd pass but it didn’t. It started to worry me as it got worse. At this time I was having and incredibly stressful time at work and in my personal life. I got really stressed that I fell in to depression where I was constantly tired and just wanted to hide under my bed covers while my brain went into overdrive. I went to the doctors about my stress and my hair but he just fobbed me off (tw*t). During this period my hair seemed to change texture… it got greasy really quickly, looked dull and I couldn’t do anything with it.

In my despair I decided to escape to see if some time out to collect my thoughts would help so I went to Australia for 7 weeks. This was cool, I had fun but at the same time my hair issues (and personal issues) were still at the back (and front of my mind) and overshadowed the trip. About 2 months in from the start of my hair loss things were getting quite intense with my shedding. There would usually be 20 or more hairs on the pillow when I woke, then lots would come out every time I brushed my hair (up to 50 at the worst times) and even just touching my hair lightly hair would fall out. The bathroom was covered in my hair...it was horrible.

My time in oz soon passed with my paranoia growing but I returned home just before Christmas. I visited a trichologist who told me that I had telogen effluvium (maybe caused by the stress of my break up or other stuff going on at the time). He noticed new hairs growing and confidently told me that my hair would recover. This was a confidence boost and over Christmas I got a haircut and was almost looking alright.

However, now I’m just over 4 months in and my hair is feeling incredibly bedraggled and starting to look a bit moth eaten. it feels in really bad condition...when I wash it feels dead and dry but then the following day it gets greasy and sometimes I have an itchy scalp and a bit of dandruff. The worst part however is my hairline. The receding seems like its got worse to the point where it’s getting hard to have the haircut I’ve pretty much had my whole life.

Over the past 4 months my confidence and self esteem has dwindled so dramatically, I don’t feel like I’m the same person I was. The shedding has slowed quite a bit from its height but I’m worried that permanent damage has been done. I just can’t get my head around how quickly things can go to sh*t really. 5 months ago my hair was looking great and I was feeling better about it then I had in years.

Anyway... that’s that and I hope it gets better asap. My dad has a better hairline then me, that’s depressing!! I don’t know why I’m writing any of this.

• Posted

This is the 2nd time i have gone through this. The first time was 4 years ago and happened about 8 weeks after being in intensive care with double pneumonia - it was xmas and my son was 4 at the time. I used to wash my hair with my eyes shut as i coudn't bear to see the hair - my poor husband had to clear it up! I saw my gp who said this was normal after a stressful experience and my hairdresser convinced me she could see baby hairs growing - I was practically bald along my hair line and above my ears with the rest being shoulder length.

It grew back and things have been fine - until now.

I had minor surgery followed by a really stressful few weeks in May and now my hair has started falling out again. I am sure it will be all fine - i just get fed up with seeing hair on everything and am using baby shampoo just in case! Chin up to those out there - the solution really is all in the head :lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.