i’ve lost hope

Posted , 9 users are following.

I would like to stay anonymous. i am a sixteen year old female.

i have been feeling very off for a very long time. nothing seems to make me feel happy anymore. i rarely ever get a moment of joy. i am to the point where i feel hopeless all of the time. i cannot sleep well, and it takes a toll on my body. i am sick with something or other almost all of the time.

i am to the point once again where i don't know what to do with myself. i have tried to get help, but i live in a small town with very limited resources. i tell my parents that i need help but nothing ever is done about my situation.

i can't see a future for myself any more. i have no motivation to do anything. i find myself trying to think about my life, but i can't imagine past this point. i don't know what to do anymore.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

dear holly

i feel for you

when i was your age i am now 33 i felt exactly the same

i was too sick of life to the point i quite school and had to be hospitlized

i thank my mother who supported me but it was not easy to convince her at all

try to speak from your heart and be serious about it .

and for me after years of passing this awful time in my life i found joy and i am happily married with two children

know one thing is that time will pass eventually situations change but keep your faith in GOD that things will change for the best

also i find teenage is a difficult phase for a lot of people some are full of rage and anger some are totally fine while others are depressed and find no joy of life

i think it has to do with hermones

my advise to you is keep your self busy .. force your self to do joyful things and seek professional help . meds saved my life and i am much much better

• Posted

It's mighty what the projection of the mind can do. Even these days, I'm 41 now, I get in my own way before I've even started the day. Some days i get it right, others not so, still learning. i was in the most amount of anguish a year ago, now- i take things slowly. small steps and recognise achievement for my own worth. Its not always going to work but I promise you'll have your thankful days. Being young is so hard, would like if you wanted to - to keep posting, hear to listen not advise if it helps. Rob

• Posted

Hi holly,

I know a friend of mine who suffered fro m the same problem and constantly asked for help from a psychiatrist but didn't go to one due to her personal reasons. she was suffering from a bad phase of depression at the end all she did was indulge herself in as any things she could . In the initial stage it was tough but latter she cope up well and then she moved on and came out of it well also as she was working she learned a lot her self confidence increased a lot as she became independent and learned to do things on her own and explored a n all new side of herself. so i would also recommend you to do the same don't sit idol for even a minute because that will make you think more and more all you should do is think less and keep doing one thing or the other as this will keep you and your brain busy. this is the only way to come out of depression because only you can help yourself and no one else.

• Posted

Holly,

since you posted in the Depression group, I dare ask you: have you been diagnosed with depression? Or do you rather feel there is something wrong, and I mean health-wise, besides your feeling desperately down?

Assuming you haven't already, the first thing you should do, in my opinion, is to understand whether you are going through some kind of "existential crisis" or, on the other hand, you suffer from a medical condition. Don't misunderstand me: I am not minimizing how hard existential crises can be. Both things require some kind of treatment, but treatments may differ in the two cases.

You cannot and should not understand this on your own. Wherever you live and independently of support by your family, I guess you should be able to access a doctor (ideally your GP, who knows you personally, but you can also go to the closest ER). Doctors are trained to distinguish between pathological and non-pathological conditions. You just need to be transparent about what you feel: there is nothing wrong or shameful in being sincere to a professional.

I am a patient, not a doctor, but in your post you list three typical symptoms of depression: not finding joy in things you once liked; a feeling of hopelessness, even in absence of any real danger to your future; problems with your sleep. Yet all these can also be non-symptoms, that is (painful) consequences of a particular state of mind. Whatever the doctor's opinion, you have to realize that neither existential crises nor depressions are irreversible: on the contrary, most of the times they are quickly resolved once you find the correct professional help. I think that is exactly what you "have to do with yourself" right now.

And, on top of that, don't be scared by the current suffering: even if you are in an emotionally bad place right now, you will get better and this is in no way going to affect your future. This is not to keep you up, it's just the way things are. I know the pain you're feeling (most people here do too). It is unfortunately more common than you think (even in your small town, it is very unlikely that no one else is suffering from similar pain). It can be unbearable and, right because of this, it is not supposed to be borne: we are lucky enough to live in an age in which we have enough experience to treat these issue effectively.

Let us know and seek our help/advice whenever you feel like to.

• Posted

It sounds quite bad for you, I hope you are feeling a bit better. If possible, see your local GP and talk to them about this. They may be able to advise further in more detail. Could also be hormone related. Just try to take things easy, dont stress and think positively.

• Posted

HI Holly, i am hoping you are feeling a little better this morning. my name is trish i have been where you are at that age, so i understand a little of what your going through. you do need to see your gp and chat to him/her, you tell them everything that your feeling, any changes you have had in your life you have noticed , they can help you but you must be open and honest with them, remember they are not going to judge you, only help. does your mum understand you? WILL she take you to the doctor? You are old enough to go on your own now. the trip to my doctor was the best thing i did, i did need medication, but i was able to ween myself off , with the help of my doctor, after a reasonable time. but now they offer things like a mental health care plan, which allows you some free visits to a psychologist.

SO sweetheart my advice to you is not try and think or diagnose yourself, get yourself off to your doctor. best of luck xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.