I've nearly done it

Posted , 9 users are following.

After being on tramadol for 7 years I realised they wasn't helping I was taking 400 mg a day ,so basically every four hours I decided to stop taking them and literally thought I was dying was to scared after that to try stopping again that was until the beginning of this year started coming off them very slowly I was doing well ,the problem is I'm down to one tab in morning and one at night so 100mg in all ,but I just can't seem to go any lower if I cut one out I feel so ill .I'm up all night , feeling so ill, horrific restless legs and severe anxiety ,has anybody else had this happen , grateful for any advice ....I'm taking magnesium for restless legs but only just started taking it so no real result yet

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary don't give up i have been down this path try to get your doc to prescribe the effervescent tablets then cut them down by quarters it helps good luck all the best.

• Posted

Thank you I'm not going to give up I've come to far it's just so frustrating ,thank you for your reply

• Posted

It can take a long time for serotonin levels to normalize. But don't give up. There are treatments for many of those symptoms.

Were you on any SSRI, SNRI, or any other serotonin affecting drug? This could be something as innocuous as St John's wort.

• Posted

Keep going almost there not easy hardest thing I have ever done but I have and so can you don't try to rush the last hurdle slow and easy took me 8 weeks at each stage to withdraw good luck.

• Posted

If you have red much around here, you probably already know this. Tramadol acts as a SSRI antidepressant. Stopping them throws your serotonin levels askew. Can cause all kinds of crazy symptoms.

• Posted

I know how to spell read, but my phone had other ideas.
  • Posted

I am so happy for you! I have been free from tramadol a long time now but I will NEVER FORGET how painful it was to come off it! I am so proud of you! 

The leg cramps were the worst my doctor gave me Gabapentin and it worked wonderful! It cured my leg cramps and not addicting at all! Tramadol is the WORST! I took it for many years ended up taking way more than 400 MGS I was taking 300 mg every 4 hours for years! 6 of 50mg every 4 hours I should have died but that being said I have never turned back and will never take another! So proud of you! Keep going it. It Will stop hurting I promise! Lots of hot baths but gabapentin helped so much at the end!💕💕💕💕

• Posted

You can do it. i came off a 800 mg a day dose , took 6 months of taper but i did it..you will have to ride out the anxiety..keep warm , hydrated. My metabolism came back , lost 35 lbs too!
    • Posted

do you by chance know the name of the indian pharmacy you used?

• Posted

Don’t cut one out. Instead cut the 100mg pill in half and take half in morning and half at night. This is how I did it.  Stay that way a few weeks than half the half and take a quarter of tab twice a day for a week or two. Then go to the quarter tab once a day. Then stop after a week or so.   Hope this is not too confusing. I had never taken as large a dose but had been on it for about 12 years. I know how terrible the withdrawal feels. I didn’t have any withdrawal doing it this way. I did feel the exhaustion and over emotional for awhile. But I could take that but not the restless legs and other horrible feelings. 
  • Posted

You've done really well so far ! I was only taking 1 cap per day, sometimes 2 and felt shocking on them. Felt so bad decided I wasn't going to take any more so quit ! 1st week was hell and then not too bad . 3 weeks later - bang! A wall of anxiety and nausea hit me. It truly was horrendous. I only started a slow improvement after starting an ssri. 2 years later I am finally weaning off that too ! Tramadol is a dirty drug which no one wants you about!

• Posted

Get empty capsules from Chemist or Internet. Take out 50mg tramadol from capsule. Divide the tramadol white powder into 5, so it becomes 10 mg each. Now get 4 parts of tramadol which is about 40 mg. Put 40 mg into new capsule and take as you would as before for one week. After one week lower it to 30 mg then 20mg then 10 mg then 5mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.