I've never had a flu jab.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

At the age of 73 I've never had the flu or a flu jab. My "inner voice" which has always been correct, tells me not to. I have heard that some people have been poorly after their jab. My husband has the jab and we are careful about hygiene, we even wash our hands after handling objects from the outside world! I am reclusive so the risk is lessened. Has anyone ever had side effects?

Also I would be interested in your thoughts on the pneumonia jab which I am tempted to have. As I have been stable with COPD for the last nine months, I am scared of rocking the boat.

I would love to hear from you and thanks.

Blessings xxxxx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you all SO MUCH for your responses, it's good to read your experiences and that I'm not alone, this condition is very scary. Sadly some of you seem to be a lot worse off than me and I wish you all well. THANK YOU.

Deanne. xxxx

• Posted

I remember once having a bad bout of flu in my 30's before I had copd. Now I was normally very robust and healthy but I had rarely been so ill in my life. I had to take 2 weeks off work (unheard of for me). I felt awful and lost my appetite for 2 months. I always think of this when I have my annual flu jab.

Now 30 years later with asthma and mild copd I dread to think what it could do to me now. All I know is if I was so ill with it when I was much younger it would be very nasty and possibly life threatening now. And as for pneumonia - no way Jose. I had one for this too.

Have the jabs is my advice. x

• Posted

Reading your post made me recall that America's first President, George Washington, after retiring to live on his farm contracted Pneumonia and it took his life. That was over 200 years ago, but some still refuse to take advantage of modern medicine and get vaccinated against the Flu, Pneumonia, and other various preventable maladays.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.